Pool Care After Major Rainstorm

Mar 7, 2012
Last night I found myself out in the the middle of a huge rainstorm (in MD) with the filter on backwash trying
to get the water level down so it doesn't go over the pool. My question is: After a major rainstorm where so
much water is added to the pool and then having to drain water out the pool, is the best course of action
to check the CYA level to see where it is at and adjust if necessary? Test chlorine and ph and adjust...should
I worry about bringing the pool to a higher chlorine level than normal just in case? CC all summer long has
been .25 or 0. FC has never gotten lower than 4 and CYA is around 30.

The pool has been amazingly easy with the BBB method and the TF test kit, just don't want a huge rainstorm
to mess it all up.

Thanks........
D

If you got a load of dirt and whatever washing into the pool, then bump the FC a little. Otherwise, you already have things figured out. Let it circulate for a couple hours before you test, to mix the fresh water into the treated water.

I love a big rain. It means free Calcium-free water for me! But we don't get many good storms here in SoCal.

Thanks for the reply. Very little debris and no dirt. I did get free aeration last night and with the hot days we have
been having I was needing to add fill water to the pool any way. At least, it got done naturally. :)

You do lose a little bit of sand each time you backwash, so when I have to raindrain, I use the waste position. Most times, I don't even run the pump, just let it gravity drain.
After all the heat we've had here, I was hoping for a good rainstorm, but it didn't happen - I'll be using the hose to fill it back up. Consider yourself lucky! :)

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.