Prevail Cycler Over Chlorinating

Jul 19, 2012
Hi. First post, first time pool owner. Had it installed in May.

I have a 1.5 hp motor and a Prevail Cycler hitched up inline (as recommended). It seems to always over chlorinate my pool and I can't figure out why. I'm planning to bring the unit back to the place I bought it from to see what they say.

Does anyone have this chlorinator and have any tips? I have the knob set to 0 and it still seems like the chlorine levels are high. I don't get it.

Welcome to tfp, skiracer2002 :wave:

I have no experience with the prevail cycler, but as far as I can tell it is basically an inline chlorinator that uses trichlor. Using trichlor as your primary chlorine source can be problematic since in addition to adding chlorine, it also adds cyanuric acid (cya). Some cya level is good (up to 50 ppm for most pools), but as the concentration get higher, it also requires higher levels of chlorine to maintain a sanitary and algae free pool.

How does your water look?

I realize that you were not asking questions about your water other than saying you have high chlorine levels, but often, especially trichlor users think their levels are high, but in actuality they are not (and are actually low) due to the typically high cya levels these same users have.

If you want, post test numbers for FC, CC, ph and cya...and if you have them also TA, and CH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.