Caretaker 99 Popping Heads

W6JE

Jul 20, 2012
Ever since my Caretaker 99 system was installed several years ago, I've been plagued by heads periodically popping out of their sleeves and onto the pool floor, sometimes as often as three or four times a month. It's a random problem in that any head, at any time, may pop out.
Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem? I've asked several local pool service companies, but they've all been befuddled by my situation. I don't think it has anything to do with the heads themsevles, since the problem has existed since Day One, although I've wondered if the pool builder might have installed rejected or defective heads in order to save money.
Thanks, John

OEM popups will have Caretaker 99 logo on top. I'm not aware of any other brand that is compatible with Caretaker.

are pop ups disassembling, leaving the screw base in the floor union?

Yes, there is a Caretaker 99 on top of each head.
The entire unit pops out intact. It lays next to the sleeve on the pool floor. I then place it back it the the sleeve, click it into place with the proper attachment on my pole.

when you reinstall, (using pole tool) put popup in sleeve and turn clockwise to lock. if that doesn't do it, inspect bayonet tabs on popup and floor sleeve for damage. how old is pool, are you original owner?

here's Zodiac's general #800/822-7933 X tech support (Pacific time zone). if your original owner and system was installed after summer 1993, you should check their website for warranty information before you call.

The bayonet tabs seem fine. This problem has existed since the pool was built, about 7 years ago. I can't go back to the original builder because the company went bankrupt during the housing collapse here in Phoenix. He was supposed to give me the warranty papers to the Caretaker system but never did. At this point, I would just like to get the system fixed because it's really ruining my enjoyment of the pool. I shoudn't have wasted my money on the Caretaker, since everything else with the pool is okay. It just seems like a lousy technology.

the issue is with worn collars, Zodiac have a small circular plastic gasket which you slip the cleaning head into then relock the head into the collar. this gasket gives the head more bite and takes up the slack which stops the head from twisting out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GREAT information!!!!
About the gaskets for the pop-ups.... I'm trying to locate some and I have been told the p/n is: 2-9-290 for a 3 pack. Hopefully someone knows if this is correct.
I'm having the same exact issue with a couple of heads just popping out, even though the bayonet tabs look perfect. Figured I'd try the elusive gaskets to see if I can resolve the issue.
Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.