Skimmer making gurgling sound

Jul 15, 2012
Toulon, Illinois
I just got my pool up and running a few hours ago. I went out to empty the skimmer basket before bed and I noticed it has a really good "tornado" in the skimmer and suction is good but its making a gurgling sound. Is that normal? As many of you know, I'm new to the pool world.

So you have one skimmer, right? The pump basket must be full of bubbles and turbulence right?

You will need to slow your water down if that's the case. can you post a pic of the equipment pad so we can see if there are any control valves or a place to put one.

(No, it is not normal :oops: )

Hi again SadieBailey, :)
The weir door is missing? :shock: That will for sure do it. Fix that first, my skimmer box has 2 small holes at the bottom of the inlet at the gasket, this is where the weir door clips in. (Hayward brand)
Try and find something plastic or stone that's very flat and try and mount it in the basket standing up to stop the swirling until you get a weir door.
Try one more size smaller eyelet in your return(s) :cheers:

Chuck

ahh, well that explains my problem! I experienced this as well, there was a very thin whirlpool being created (called a vortex I learned) that would go all the way down to the basket and make an obnoxious sucking sound, even though the water level in the skimmer stayed pretty high. Putting a stone in there solved the problem so I just assumed that my pump was too strong, but thanks to this thread I learned that my skimmer is supposed to have a door!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.