Hayward VL sand filter opinions

Jun 27, 2012
I installed an Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 48" 3 weeks ago and wanted to upgrade to a sand filter. I was deciding between the intex sand 2650 and the Hayward VL. Has anyone used the Hayward and have anything opinions on it? I'm guessing the quality is better then the intex.

I would lean towards the intex 2650, since the vl is only a 13" filter, and the 2650 is 16". Even the intex 1600 gpm sand filter is bigger at 14" than the vl. In addition, the intex 2650 can usually be bought for same/less than the VL.

After i got past the Hayward name and really looked at the specs i am going to get the intex 2650. Only need to to last a few years until i put in a metal wall pool. Will the intex pump be enough to run a solar heater or would i need separate pump for that? Next year i want to add a 4ft by 20ft solar panel on my garage roof, not sure if that pump can handle that or do i need to add one just for the panels.

I have not seen a pump curve on the intex, nor have I heard of anyone running solar on a roof with it. The issue will be the ability to prime the panels, though once primed I am sure it can move the water through them. From what I have seen of this pump,I would guess that it should be able to prime the panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.