Brand new pool owner and opening day

SkidRowe

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2011
Zebulon, NC
Hi all,
The wife and I have just gotten our very first pool installed today and just gotten it hooked up. The Electrician does not get here until Monday so the SWG is not hooked up. The pump is up running through a temporary setup but is fine until then.

The set up is 18X40X4 AGP (19500 gal) with dual speed speed pump and SWG.

Below is my numbers.

FC = 0
CC = .5
TC = .5
TA = 60
CH = 40
CYA = 0
PH 7.5

I used to pool calculator and if I read this correct I will need to add:
1 gallon + 1 Quart Bleach (6%)
146 oz Baking Soda
CH leave alone
109 oz Dichlor

I have not added salt as of yet, waiting on getting the electric completed. (any suggestions on the amount to add) I am still looking into this.

So does the above sound correct? Should I be concerned about not having the SWG not set up yet? I think that I can survive by keeping the bleach adding for a few days but I am looking for any and all suggestions and feed back.

Yes I have read pool school several times but I am sure I will need to ready it several more times.

photobucket-45444-1342744306361.jpg

Dichlor raises your Chlorine as well. If you are using it to raise CYA, then just use that instead of bleach to get your chlorine levels up. When CYA is at the level you want, start using bleach.

Agree with Vette. Use the bottom part of the calculator to see how much FC and CYA the dichlor will add. You will likely not want to add it all at the same time as it could be damaging to your liner to have high FC levels before the CYA is in the pool.

The dichlor will also lower the pH ... so keep an eye on it as you may need to raise it with washing soda or borax.

The alternative is to use stabilizer separately and then use bleach for the FC. Often this is easier as each chemical is only affecting 1 parameter.

The alternative is to use stabilizer separately and then use bleach for the FC. Often this is easier as each chemical is only affecting 1 parameter.
I am totally on board with that thought! :lol:

I personally have never liked dichlor for new owners because it moves too many parameters at once, sometimes the wrong way, and it will bleach a vinyl lined pool if it is tossed carelessly to the bottom.

I far prefer stabilizer (CYA) added by itself and then bleach (chlorine) added by itself also.

(Hey out there in Zebulon....Creedmoor checkin' in! :lol: Welcome!)

Thanks for the info! I was taking a shot with the dichlor and the that's the reason I asked. For some reason I was dichlor = stabilizer only. I now see that cyanuric acid = stabilizer. I will be reading pool school again, but now that I have to actually use it it will start making more sense. :?

With me not having the SWG running for a few days, anything that I should worry about? I assume that I will need to keep an eye on the C levels and adjust manually until it comes on line. Should I go ahead and start adding salt before I start trying to balance everything else?

Sorry for the basic questions, it's no fun being a newbie...

Hi back to Creedmoor, Got the kit a few weeks ago in anticipation of all of this. Trying to start on the right foot! so is the tag Du-Raleigh or Dur-A-Lee? Just a quick test to see if this NC native is in sync with you :lol:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you need the baking soda. Your TA is fine, especially for a SWG pool. The TA should be 60-80. If you make sure to change the parameters near the end of the calculator in the suggested goal levels box , it will show you the suggested levels.

Use suggested goal levels from: TroubleFreePool.com
Primary source of chlorine: SWG
Pool surface: Vinyl

Looks like you will need about 11 pounds of CYA (stabilizer) to reach 70ppm. But since your SWG is still a few days away, they may suggest that you add half now and half once it gets up and running. That will allow you to use the target values for 35 ppm CYA while you are dosing with bleach. With 35, keep your FC above 3 - probably dose daily to 7. When you first add bleach, only dose to 3-4. 24 hours after you add the CYA in, you can assume it is in there and move up to the 3-7 ppm FC.

Du-Raleigh or Dur-A-Lee?
Pronounced Dur-A-Lee but spelled with the Raleigh on the end. Our other business was on Duraleigh Road in Raleigh for 26 years hence the username that was a mistake when we did it some 20 years ago and remains a mistake today because no one can pronounce it. We're just too old to change it now! :lol:

Thanks aa62579. I miss read the pool calcs feed information on the TA thanks for catching that. Looks like I am OK at the moment there. My wife took a sample to the PG today and they suggested only adding Chlorine at the moment and not doing more until the SWG is up and running. What's the feeling on that or should I go ahead start upping my CYA, at half the rate as suggested?

duraleigh, I know exactly where you are talking about. Now if we can only convince people that Raleigh-Durham is not a city, but an airport...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You want to get the CYA in the water or the sun will consume all the FC you put in. Start with at least half ... maybe even target 50ppm and remember it will take a week to show up on the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.