What are these spots on my Brush and Vacuum?

UnderWaterVanya

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Mint Hill, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Pool history here: topic47425.html

I have the pool nice and clear but I'm worried that something may be creeping in. The pool brush and vacuum are stained in a way that looks like a brownish algae is growing on them. At first I thought it was just a problem with rust or something else but the vac doesn't seem to have any metal where the stains are.

I soaked the tools in 50/50 bleach (6%) and pool water (CYA 55) for a couple of days in an open bucket in the shade and nothing went away - if anything it got worse. It did rain during this time a couple of times but the bucket smelled about the same as when I started - no I didn't check for FC/CC's when I dumped it!

I also see some potential issues in the pool which I will check with an OCLT tonight and if needed run up to shock levels - but the tools lack of response to the 50/50 bleach solution has me freaked out. 30000ppm of FC (calculated from 3% expected strength) should have been sufficient for most anything!

Here are some tool pics...

At one point I saw brown stuff accumulate on the steps - but that hasn't come back - however the color of the stains on the tools looks similar:

Ideas on what to do with the brush and vac? They haven't been back in the pool since I determined this was going on.

jblizzle said:
Kind of looks like there might be pins holding the bristles that are rusting to me.

Now that would be a relief - and it would explain the reason they got worse when soaked. Normally the tools sit on the fence in the sun and get dried out pretty quickly.

I forgot to post any water results:

from this afternoon:
FC: 6.5
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.5 (I have trouble with this test the Taylor kit is hard to judge)
TA: 120
CH: 330
CYA: 50-60 - I'm saying 55 due to my difficulty with this test.

I will be bringing this up a bit tonight and checking in the morning for an OCLT. But any problems in the pool might just be unrelated if what you think is true is true.

OK - now I'm at a further loss. The stains in the brush and vacuum have grown. They are now as long as each brush bristle. The two items were left in the same bucket (emptied but not rinsed) for a couple of days after I took the pictures posted earlier. Does rust act like this? It seems more like some kind of growth.

Someone mentioned a bucket method to test for mustard algae how do I do that? On the other hand, this is pretty much an orange/brown as the pictures show - very much like rust color. Is there a way to test if this is rust - is there something likey to wash away those stains? Is there an algaecide I could try on these isolated in a bucket to see if this is an algae? Are there any algae's that would not respond to stupid high FC??? (50/50 6% bleach and pool water with CYA around 55).

I'm not sure if I can put my brush and vac back in service or if I need to buy new until I resolve this.

You could probably try putting some vitamin c on the stains and see if they lighten or come off. That could confirm metal.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

jblizzle said:
You could probably try putting some vitamin c on the stains and see if they lighten or come off. That could confirm metal.

Thanks! I didn't think about that. I had heard that for pool liner stains and just didn't click. Since these are down in the bristles I'm not sure how to apply it but I'll look around and see what I can find at the Pharamcy. I'll post some pictures one way or the other.

You can buy ascorbic acid at the grocery store, sometimes in the bulk spices section (if you have those). Then you could sprinkle some of that into a shallow water solution and set the tools into it. Looks like rust to me too, my brush has the same and I'm positive my pool has no algae.

frogabog said:
You can buy ascorbic acid at the grocery store, sometimes in the bulk spices section (if you have those). Then you could sprinkle some of that into a shallow water solution and set the tools into it. Looks like rust to me too, my brush has the same and I'm positive my pool has no algae.

Thanks guys - on my list for tomorrow.

Just for grins I did a non-shock level OCLT to give myself peace of mind.

Last night at 11pm:
FC: 6.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.8
TA: Not measured, should be ~ 120
CH: Not measured, should be ~ 330
CYA: Not measured, should be ~ 55

This morning at 8:30am:
FC: 6.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 120
CH: Not Measured, should be ~ 330
CYA: Not Measured, should be ~ 55

So I'm thinking that everyone was correct and these are rust stains - they got a little fainter after washing the brush out with tap water and then brushing the pool but I think that's just because the stained water in the bristles was removed. The drips on a white metal table off the brush looked very much like rust.

I'm stilling planning the AA test but have not had time to get the AA yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.