Controls??

May 26, 2011
I'm pretty much a DIY person and want to add automated controls to my pool. My set up is pretty basic but all the different options for controls make my head hurt and I need some guidance. This is what I have for equipment/pool..

1. Jandy Never Lube Valves
2. Polaris 360
3. Spa
4. Spa Light and Pool Light
5. Spa Heater
6. Pool Heater

I would like a wireless controller preferably waterproof so I can have it in the spa and I would like to control these functions:

1. Turn valves to use the spa
2. Control pool and spa heater (temperature and on/off)
3. Turn pool and spa lights on and off
4. Control the landscape lights

What are all the pieces that I would need?

All of that is fairly easy except adjusting the thermostat on the heater. The remaining functions are available in any pool automation system. You can either buy a stock automation system, or mix and match parts in a DIY system.

Actually, any automation system with a water temp probe will be able to control when the heater comes on and off. So, you can control water temp too. This is certainly true for Pentair's automation systems (SunTouch, EasyTouch and IntelliTouch), and also Jandy's Aqualink RS. I think even the Intermatic electronic controllers based on Z-Wave can control the heater based on temp settings that can be controlled wirelessly. The only complication is that you have two heaters, one for the pool and one for the spa. You might need to add a SPDT relay to control which comes on with the pool vs. the spa. Both the IntelliTouch and EasyTouch have a relay control that comes on when the spa comes on, so this could control the heater circuit. There are likely other ways to deal with this too. BTW, do you have separate plumbing for the pool vs. the spa? Why do you have two heaters?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.