Nature 2 device and water chemistry

jws13

Jun 16, 2012
I have just started using the BBB method for keeping more pool water in good shape and was wondering if I should/could reduce my chlorine levels based to take into account the effects of the nature 2 device? Prior to using the BBB method I used the chlorine pucks and per the nature 2 instructions kept my chlorine risidual level between .5 and 2 had had no real problems with water chemistry. Now with the BBB method I am keeping the chlorine between 4 and 6 with a cya between 40 and 50.

appreciate any suggestions

Thanks....Joe

From what I've read/asked/seen, the Nature 2 does nothing but add metals to your water. I won't be replacing the cartridge in it after this year. Last year, it gave us nothing but problems and I'm guessing that the "recommended reduced" chlorine levels played a big part. Your water chemistry might be fine now - but it'll get out of whack eventually. We do still have it hooked up, though - the zpacks come in handy during vacations!

I also had issues from running that nature2,
Nothing gets you in hot water faster than the wife's hair turning green :)
I opened the cartridge up at the end of last season and it had what looked like copper balls in it. So it seems like it adds at least copper to the water and who knows what else?

Why did you go away from the Nature2? Were you having any problems? How many years did you run Nature2? My pool builder put it in, and he maintains several pools with Nature2, but in Minnesota the pool water is drained down for winterization and maybe he is getting by with pucks and Nature2. It is installed in my pool, but the cartridge is still in the garage.

jmhjgh said:
but in Minnesota the pool water is drained down for winterization and maybe he is getting by with pucks and Nature2.
Copper is not needed...even up here in Minnesota.

True, our friends to the south that do not have the fortune of winterizing :tongue:, generally have more problems with high concentrations of copper, cya, etc. With that said, there are many instances of the these same problems up here...especially in the dog days of August when concentrations have crept up. Bottom line, there is no need for copper additions to pool water, especially when the pool is properly chlorinated.

Bottom line on the Nature2, why pay for something you don't need, that adds stuff that may cause green hair and staining?

Same thing you could be said about adding borates: why add if you don't need it? I am not trying to stir the pot because I have no direct experience with Nature2 but people claim the same great feeling and sparkling water with <2ppm chlorine when using Nature2. I didn't add it because I didn't want the possible problems with metals, but my pool builder uses it and maintains several pools.

The two situations are very different. With Nature2 you run some risk of unsightly and difficult to remove stains. With borates the worst that can happen is that you spent a little money and it doesn't improve anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you really wanted to operate at a lower FC level and didn't want the side effects of metal staining of plaster surfaces of turning hair greenish (and didn't want to very carefully monitor metal levels and pH to avoid such problems), you could use Polyquat 60 every week in a maintenance dose. However, that's extra cost and not necessary unless you really, really want that lower FC level. Remember that with CYA in the water, the active chlorine level is very low with the minimum for non-SWG pools having the same active chlorine as around 0.07 ppm FC with no CYA. The experience is nothing at all like many commercial/public pools (especially those indoors) that don't use any CYA at all and have at least 10 times or more active chlorine.

NOTE: This is in response to a post that was subsequently removed. It extolled the claimed benefits of Nature2 while ignoring the potential risks. My response below challenged several of the assertions in that post.

JARBS said:
The way the N2 system works is that it introduces copper & silver ions into the water.
This will eventually lead to metal staining and/or green hair as others have stated. The latter is erroneously blamed on chlorine. Once the metal stains develop, then you must go through extra steps (and expense) of removing them.

JARBS said:
Next install the N2 system super chlorinate with calcium hypochlorite.
Super chlorinating with cal-hypo will potentially add scaling to the mix of issues the pool owner will have to deal with, again causing extra time and expense to remove.

Now, on a seasonal pool that is winterized, it may take longer for these problems to develop. But they eventually will.

Chlorine is often mistakenly blamed for a variety of issues such as the green hair mentioned above and faded bathing suits. Much of the fading of swimwear is likely happening in the washer than in a properly chlorinated pool. However, if someone is bent on running at a lower chlorine level, they would be better off using a supplemental dose of Polyquat 60 as chem geek stated. At least that approach doesn't have the side effects of the metal in Nature 2 and other algaecides. However even this approach is not considered best-practice because it is more expensive than simply maintaining proper chlorination. Chlorine by itself will keep the pool sanitary without the use of anything else, so I do not understand why anyone would go through the extra expense of adding unnecessary chemicals/devices that will not provide any upside potential.

chem geek said:
Remember that with CYA in the water, the active chlorine level is very low with the minimum for non-SWG pools having the same active chlorine as around 0.07 ppm FC with no CYA.
This is a key point, especially to those who are "chlorine-phobic." To put this in perspective, 1 cup of 8.25% bleach in a 40 gallon washing machine = FC of ~133 ppm and there is no CYA in the washer.

Since switching to BBB two years ago, I spend less time maintaining the pool, fewer $ on electricity by running the pump less, and my swim suits and goggles are lasting much longer. The calcium ring that I inherited from the previous owner is gone. My pool has never looked better.

Given all these risks and reading/hearing about the experience that others have had with N2 and the potential side-effects that are likely to develop, I'm not seeing how this will reduce pool maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.