Using Toilet Bleach Tabs in place of Chlorine Tablets

Jul 3, 2012
Dallas, TX
I just adopted the BBB method and am loving it so far. My question is for continuous bleaching, especially if away from home for a while, could one use the bleach tabs sold in most stores that you drop in a toilet? And just to be clear, I'm not talking about the blue (dye) ones, just the pure bleach ones.

As far as I can tell, their only ingredient is Bromochloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin. I'm no chemist, so I don't know how this ingredient will interact with other chemicals (bleach, baking soda, borax) or human skin/hair. And I don't know if it has a by-product like CYA, salt, or similar.

Thanks in advance.

You can buy the pool trichlor tabs at WM and other store as singles, each are individually wrapped. I am sue the shelf life is long enough for you needs. A simple floater would be fine.

It looked the the other tab is bromine based.

I don't want to use the chlorine (trichlor) tablets anymore because of the CYA residue. That's why I was looking for a bleach alternative. I don't know what by-products bromine gives off or if it can safely be mixed with bleach.

Bromine's main drawback is expense. It's found a nice niche in spas because it is more stable than chlorine at high temps. Bromine pools are nice, but it's a very expensive way to sanitize a pool. Our pool at the old house was bromine. It was very nice, but bromine has gone up in price even more since then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.