Newer pool with flaking plaster, newbie needs HELP please

Jun 7, 2011
My wife and I bought a 10 year old house in CA. The pool is only 6 years old, but there are small circles of cracked plaster throughout the pool. I can only assume this is due to a severe lack of maintenance, as the house was a foreclosure. There has been an ongoing issue with algae, which I have got under control, however I fear the plaster needs to be redone, due to the spots where algae ate the plaster. The areas of missing plaster are making a beautiful new pool appear worn and aged! Do we need a contractor to come out and replaster the pool, or is this possibly a diy project for the winter? If this is a diy project, how long can the pool remain empty prior to damage occuring? This is a very large approx. 40,000 gallon pool, so if we were to go at it ourselves the project would take several months to complete. If replastering by a pro is needed, I would like to add the crystal blue quarts finish and possible remove the automatic pop up jet cleaning system, as it doesnt work nearly well as advertised, unless there are issues with the cleaning jets as well. Any help would be appreciated, as we are new to pool ownership!

Re: Newer pool with flaking plaster, newbie needs HELP pleas

Welcome to TFP!!!

The algae did not eat the plaster. More likely the water balance was messed up with made the plaster deteriorate. The algae just likes to grow in the nooks and crannies.

Replacing plaster is NOT a DIY job, unless your real job is that of a plasterer with experience in doing pools.

Fully emptying a pool carries a lot of risk is your have a high ground water table ... the pool may actually float out of the ground if proper drains/valves were not installed ... again, best to leave to a professional.

Look into different plaster and pebble options and decide what is best for you. The pebble products cost more, but are supposed to last longer.

I am not sure how well the floor pop-ups could be removed. Might be best to just change the plumbing so that you can turn them off. Do you have wall returns already? If not, they will need to be added as well. Also consider adding a dedicated line that could be used for a suction or pressure side cleaner.

All that said, what does the water in the pool look like? If you are properly maintaining the chemical levels, you should not be seeing any algae. Even with the flaking plaster, you can likely get buy leaving it for quite some time if you can ignore the aesthetics. Maybe it is algae or stains that are making things looks worse than they are.

A lot of people expect a whole lot more out of the in floor popup cleaners than they are ever going to get. Think of them more as bottom returns that are good at stirring stuff up. Unless you have a bunch of them, there are going to be accumulation spots where dirt seems to want to collect, and even with a large number of heads, you will still likely have a spot or two that always seem dirty. A quick brush (while the pump is running) usually gets rid of the problem.

In some of these pools, the popups are the only returns, but that is fairly rare.

We have a 28 year old pool that was looking pretty tired, that was refinished with Pebble Fina a couple of months ago. We kept the in floor cleaning system, but did pay to have it pressure tested during the refinish.

I dont think the pop up jets are doing a great job, as there are several areas that have debris like dirt, sand collecting in places like the vertical wall in the deep end, and another spot in the shallow end. I just purchased a manual vacuum to clean up these spots. I have read many other posts about these pop up cleaners and other problems, so I thought if I am going to begin removing plaster may as well remove the pop ups at the same time, as I dont want the expense of replastering twice.

jblizzle said:
Welcome to TFP!!!

The algae did not eat the plaster. More likely the water balance was messed up with made the plaster deteriorate. The algae just likes to grow in the nooks and crannies.

Replacing plaster is NOT a DIY job, unless your real job is that of a plasterer with experience in doing pools.

Fully emptying a pool carries a lot of risk is your have a high ground water table ... the pool may actually float out of the ground if proper drains/valves were not installed ... again, best to leave to a professional.

Look into different plaster and pebble options and decide what is best for you. The pebble products cost more, but are supposed to last longer.

I am not sure how well the floor pop-ups could be removed. Might be best to just change the plumbing so that you can turn them off. Do you have wall returns already? If not, they will need to be added as well. Also consider adding a dedicated line that could be used for a suction or pressure side cleaner.

All that said, what does the water in the pool look like? If you are properly maintaining the chemical levels, you should not be seeing any algae. Even with the flaking plaster, you can likely get buy leaving it for quite some time if you can ignore the aesthetics. Maybe it is algae or stains that are making things looks worse than they are.

The color is a beautiful aqua blue, as it should be. I can see the algae in the nooks, and it grows behind the plaster creating a small bubble, eventually cracking open and removing plaster.

I have seen the pebble tec finish, but dont like the look. If we are to replaster I would like to have a finish with the blue quartz to enhance the look of the pool, creating a deeper blue color.

I had a floor cleaning system at my previous house. It would collect dirt in a couple areas, but the pool stayed pretty clean beyond that.

The problem with "removing" them is that all the holes would need to be filled in and sealed to prevent water flow.

If the pipes are fine, I would just leave them there as an option ... does not mean you have to use them. I just had my pool redone and it had a set of wall returns and a set of returns for old-school whip system. I was going to have the whip holes covered, but then decided they were a good back up if the wall returns ever developed a problem.

BTW: There are a LOT of different colored pebble products and different size pebbles ... I am not sure how many pools you have seen, but you can certainly get a deep blue pool with them.

You might check in to DiamondBrite. I think it is the look you want.

Your plaster is just old by the way. 10 years means it's probably time to replaster, especially if someone didn't keep the pool properly balanced. You should get longer life from one of the more expensive finishes.

To answer a few questions, the pool is not painted, and I am sure its the plaster that is flaking off due to the algae getting behind it. The house was empty for 1-1/2 years prior to us purchasing it, and very little maintenance done. The pool was green prior to us purchasing the home. The plaster is not 10 years old, but 6 yrs. max.
As far as the plaster being old, my brothers pool is over 20 years old and his plaster appears to be in better condition than mine. I have no idea what the life expextancy on plaster is, but would assume it would be closer to 20 years than 10, as it is a very expensive proposition to have a contractor come in and refinish. If I want a beautiful finish, am I to refinish every few years?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

To address a couple of your questions:

Assuming you have adequate wall returns, the in-floor system can be easily cancelled by chopping out the fittings and plugging with the proper concrete, then eliminating the octopus thing at the equipment pad. Please note, someone competent should evaluate the hydraulics!!

Properly maintained, current iterations of marcite (white plaster) should give you 7 to 10 years of service. Aggregate finishes (Diamond-brite, sunstone, pebble-tec, etc. and even house brand aggregates) substantially longer; think 15 to 20 years. Note: the operative phrase here is "properly maintained".

Lastly, if you're getting delamination of the existing surface (which is what your description sounds like) after only 6 years, something was seriously wrong with the original installation, and needs to be addressed. At a minimum, If I were the contractor, I would insist that the existing surface be removed, down to the gunnite.

And to support what has already been said, this is not a DIY thing :cry:

Thanks to "DBFAN187" I now have a product that can be used for a DIY person like myself. I am including the link to their site, in the event anyone else has a similar problem http://www.sider-oxydro.com/pools_decks.htm This stuff is supposed to bond with no issues, and can be applied with a paint roller brush. This is still a huge task for a DIY but certainly appears to be possible. I will have to do some research on the gound water table prior to draining the pool and this project will take every minute of spare time not at work or sleeping. The cost of materials for a 40,000 gallon pool is only $2,400 bucks, which is a far cry from $14,000+ for a contractor to come and do this job. I will (asking my wife to upload) be uploading some pics soon.

Wow ... $14k seems REALLY high for just a plaster job ... although your pool is pretty big.

So are you supposed to go around and break off all the loose plaster before painting that stuff on? Paint seems to have a lifespan of only a few years, hopefully this lasts longer.

Find a Pebble Tec installer in your area from their website and call the ones that have "plaster" in their names. Those are the guys the conractors are going to hire any way. These installers will also do plaster (since it's in their name) and you can get an estimate for all the available finishes. 14k seems high to me too.

dravenone said:
Find a Pebble Tec installer in your area from their website and call the ones that have "plaster" in their names. Those are the guys the conractors are going to hire any way. These installers will also do plaster (since it's in their name) and you can get an estimate for all the available finishes. 14k seems high to me too.

Did I give you that advice recently ... can't remember if it was you or not :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.