New Construction - please review contract specs for issues..

Jul 7, 2012
Please let me know if you see any issues with this.

Lagoon shape - 20' x 30'2" x 40'1"
Depth: 3' to 8'
Pool Shell: Hydra Pinnacle panels (lifetime transferrable warranty) ($1,300 upgrade)
Maintenance Equipment: safety rope, 2 hand rails for steps, solar cover
Contractor will install electric by a qualified electrician at equipment site and pool lights
Handrail: Stainless steel handrail at both sets of steps
Skimmers: 3
Returns: 4 in-wall returns
Drains: 2 8"
Pool will be backfilled with 100% 1" clean rock; includes drain line wrapped around pool/sump drain underneath pool to sump pit off deck (or open air)
Filter: Triton 2 Sand Filter
Liner: color and pattern per owner
Extra dirt (determined by homeowner) hauled away by PB
Pool school
Excavation
All required permits
Steps: 8' acrylic colored steps in shallow end, 8' acrylic colored steps in deep end ($2,200)
Coping: Stone coping - color per owner ($4,500)
Decking: 1050 square feet allotment of broom finished fiber reinforced concrete deck per homeowner drawing ($525 for 150 additional sq ft))
Pool lights: 2 Intellibrite multi-color LED lights ($1,350)
Slide: Turbo Twister slide, valved at pump pad and at slide, positioned per homeowner drawing ($3,800)
Diving board: 8' fiberglass diving board with stand ($500)
Chlorine generator: Pentair Intellichlor (salt for start up included) ($1,200)
Panel: Pentair Easy Touch 8 port electronic controller
Heater: Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU gas heater (gas run not included) ($2,600)
Vacuum: Homeowners choice - Pentair Letro Legend pressure side automatic cleaner with booster pump or Polaris 380 ($1,100)
Latham Performance Mesh safety cover ($3,100)
Raised water feature ($4,000):
• 2' high x 16' long x 4' deep stone covered raised planter bed with two integrated 3' sheer descents per homeowner drawing, built on concrete footing (stone veneer to be purchased separately by homeowner)
• Both sheer descents will include electronic actuator valves to be controlled by remote control
• Includes pump upgrade to Pentair Intelliflo variable speed
• Includes plumbing for irrigation and adequate drainage
First pool close and open are included

Re: New Construction - please review contract specs for issu

Looks like pretty much anything you could possible want.

Of course they never put the guts of pool in these quotes ... like
how big is the suction and return plumbing?
Are the skimmers and drains plumbed independently back to the pad (preferred for better control)?
Are the returns plumbed separately to the pad?

Things like this are what determines how well the pool equipment works.

What type of stone are you getting for the coping? There are some reports of some soft stone deteriorating due to the salty water.

That said, trust the Pool School here possibly more than whatever their pool school is.
Get yourself one of the recommended test kits and take control from the start.
Don't trust them to start your chemical levels were we would recommend ... but you may have to consider warranty factors.

"Contractor will install electric by a qualified electrician at equipment site and pool lights"

I would make abosulutely sure that the electrical work is done to NEC Code. Do you live someplace that requires inspections? Check with your code enforcement office about requirements to meet NEC 680.26. Search the forum for "bonding" to see what happens if you don't.

"Decking: 1050 square feet allotment of broom finished fiber reinforced concrete deck per homeowner drawing" No, no, no and heck no! You have to have rebar or copper mesh in the concrete to bond the decking. It is required by code. Use the fiber if you want, but you have to have metal in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Given that your pool is likely close to the volume of Robbie's pool, you should get at least the 600lb unit.

Looking at the Filter Sizing section of hydraulics-101-have-you-lost-your-head-t915.html, for a 40k gallon pool, you would want a 7.4 sqft for a sand filter. Looking at the link Robbie posted, that would actually be larger than the TR140 925 lbs monster.

Ok, so given that size, the chart lists 6.0 sqft for the sand filter. The TR100 is 5.0 sqft. It will work fine, larger filters just need to be cleaned less and have lower head loss. Given your pump, you would have plenty of power available to backwash a larger filter if so desired.

T100 is good. That's the same 600 lb unit I have. You'll enjoy it. Don't let them go smaller!

JBlizzle, I can't speak for that chart, but the T100 works great on my 44,000 gallon pool. I rarely have to backflush. There's been a T100 on my pool since 1982 (found the receipt).

@RobbieH, I was hoping you would chime back in with real-world experience :goodjob:

The chart is just a guideline ... every pool is different of course.

Let me give some specifics on my pool...

44,000 gallon gunite pool, lots of trees, grass, etc. around the pool. Typical Texas pollen and dust. I have one main drain, one skimmer (on a 44k pool!) and 4 returns, all at the shallow end pointing toward the deep end. All my pipe is copper. The pump/filter setup is indoors, about 20' to 25' from the returns, about 40' from the skimmer. 1.5 hp pump, no heater (I recently removed it), and the T100. The original T100 was installed in 1982 and ran fine until last year, when the seals on the lateral(s) broke. Due to age, I just replaced it. They aren't all that expensive, and easy to install. I went with the same filter, and love it. It keeps my big pool CLEAR, even others with DE or cart filters on their pools comment on how clear my water is (thank you BBB!)

Adding my 2 cents worth, my company has at least 50 pools in the 35000 to 50000 gallon range that use the TR-100 with absolutely no issues (all are two inch plumbing). I think these are great filters.

[quote="JohnT "Decking: 1050 square feet allotment of broom finished fiber reinforced concrete deck per homeowner drawing" No, no, no and heck no! You have to have rebar or copper mesh in the concrete to bond the decking. It is required by code. Use the fiber if you want, but you have to have metal in there.[/quote]

so if you dont have a concrete deck?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.