need advice on replacement for SWG - Hayward T-CELL 15

All plates are titanium and are plated as Chuckiechan stated above.

The thickness of the plating does control how long the cell will last. Some things that can damage the plating is cleaning the cell with acid, the stronger the mix the more it will remove the plating, and scratching the blades when cleaning them by scraping the scale off.

My personal preference is to stay with Hayward as I've heard of very few cells failing early. I like the three year full replacement warranty on their cells and their support is very good.

Just fyi, here is the "pro-rata" warranty; longer but not much of a benefit. . .
3.0 Limited Warranty
3.1.1 This generic cell carries the following 5 year pro rata warranty should fault occur due to faulty manufacture or materials, under normal use and service.
3.1.2 For residential use, Compu Pool warrants the original purchaser that the equipment shall be free of manufacturer defects at the time of sale and upon examination, shall provide replacement parts or repair in accordance with the following schedule.
3.1.3 First Year. Replacement cell supplied from our facility at no cost. Compu Pool reserves the right to determine whether or not a cell will be replaced with a new or refurbished cell or repaired.
3.1.4 Second Year. Replacement cell supplied from our facility at 30% of the published retail price.
3.1.5 Third Year. Replacement cell supplied from our facility at 50% of the published retail price.
3.1.6 Fourth Year. Replacement cell supplied from our facility at 70% of the published retail price.
3.1.7 Fifth Year. Replacement cell supplied from our facility at 70% of the published retail price.
3.1.8 For commercial use in any “regulated pool”, all parts are warranted against defect for a period of one year, without pro-ration.
3.1.9 The warranty may be void if the following occurs:
 Damage to the unit beyond Compu Pool's control.  If correct pool chemistry is not maintained.  The cell is not cleaned regularly or cleaned by any other method other than by the method recommended by the manufacturer.  Damage due to improper service.

Would still like to hear if anyone's used one of these, I know I usually have negative results from knock-offs. . .

I just came across this post as Im in the same situation... I think. Just opened pool last weekend, salt cell was cleaned over the winter by my local place. Initial reading was low around 1800 and I added some salt to get up to 3000. I cant get any chlorine reading on test strips. Had water tested and they showed ppm 4600! So I recalibrated the system to show 4600, drained some water, added fresh. This morning it shows 3000 and still no chlorine. Having water tested by another place today. If its still high Im thinking the cell is shot. Low readings and no chlorine. I bought it used last year and not sure of how old it really is. I came across the saltpoolstore.com $269 TCELL-15 replacement also. I emailed them for details, mainly on 5 yr warranty, but for that price Ill probably give this a try and if I get a few years out of it for that price Im ok with it. Ill update this post shortly.

Have a Compupool t15 replacement cell. Two years old I think. The plates are rusting badly on the outlet side although it is still generating. I'm not even going to try any warranty action, probably not worth it. Amazon has an Oem cell at 450, which seems to be about at market now. Salt Pool Store has a replacement cell at 269 with a 5 yr pro-rata warranty, although I can't find details.

Anyone use the Salt Pool Store cell? Besides the price, I like the clear plastic, makes it much easier to see when the cell is generating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I posted the warranty for the Salt Pool guys up this thread, although its a 5 yr warranty, its extremely pro-rated to the MSRP of the cell, making the warranty virtually worthless after the second year. Although cheaper, likely you will get what you pay for. I've been frustrated with after-markets in the past, so now I generally bite the bullet on the OEM for reliability and "real" warranties. . . ymmv.

I have not went with any kind of replacement yet because my water is too cold. From the manual it states it shuts down with water temp 50 degrees and below, also chlorine generation is limited to 20% when water is 60 degrees and below. My current water temp is 58 degrees. So Ill be waiting to see how the cell and chlorine generation goes when the water temp comes up.

after the water temp came up and I did the bucket test of my cell, I saw it was indeed producing chlorine. Now a month later I think its about done. Salt levels have been reading way low and I get no generation with the bucket test. Cell current levels seem low around 2.5 also. Now I have too much salt in my pool 4500 but yet I do get some chlorine on my test strips. I have to keep recalibrating my system each day because it reads so low. Would you agree the cell is shot at this point?

I'm trying to figure out what t cell 15 to buy for my Hayward aquarite system my cell went out last year & I've been trying to do my own research on some replacement cells does anyone have any advice about circu cell or does anyone know of another good replacement cell or should I just stay with Hayward thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just installed a Chlorinator Pro CP-15 Aqua Rite Replacement Salt Water T-Cell-15. ($299). Will report as time passes

Still working fine.

EDIT 6/10/17 - Been fighting green algae for a month. Thought it was the excessive rain and low CYA from startup, but both those have been resolved for two weeks. Today FC test shows 1.0 after a 24 hour run at 30% with a CYA of 80. Historically, 12hrs daily @ 30% has maintained my proper target levels. Needless to say, I suspect the cell is not longer putting out properly. Will advance to 12hrs @ 50% and update this thread.

Isn't it true that the titanium plates we are talking about are still plated with ruthenium as the catalyst, and that is what wears off and fails?

CORRECTION: Some people misunderstood the comment below to mean the new Chlorinator Pro CP-15 cell has suffered a failure from corrosion. That is not correct. As of 07/16/2017 the CP-15 is performing just fine. I have edited my comment below for clarity.

In my Hayward T-CELL-15 the electrode corroded in half where it was welded to the plate. There are pictures elsewhere on this forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.