Help with looking over new pool numbers

Jul 18, 2012
Upstate, SC
Hello Everyone! I read the Pool School and numerous posts, but I wanted some feedback on my pool chem numbers. We are brand new pool owners and the contractor was not the best to say the least. I knew nothing on what to do after getting pool full of water and was flying blind until a few days ago. Thankfully there are sites like this for help! My other source of help was the local Leslies Pool. He has been helpful, but I think he also wants to sell me lots of $$$ chemicals!

Pool was filled on July 2nd from our main public water line to the home. All of my specs should be in my sig line as per the request from the Pool School. I would be happy to provide anything else if needed. I live in the Upstate of SC for climate info.

Had the pool tested by Leslie's last Thurs since my test strips were giving me odd readings. Turns out they were right. Prior to testing I had my Aqua Rite set at 60% since turning on, my pump was running around 20hrs a day. The only thing we added to the water prior to testing was enough salt to get the level up. That was all I was told I needed to do to get my pool ready, that is it! Pool water was crystal clear but my liner was very slippery, I actually slipped and fell getting into the pool!

This is what it was then as tested by Leslie's:
FAC - 0.5
TAC - 0.5
Salt - 3000
CH - 60
TA - 50
pH - 7.4
CYA - 5
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Phosphates - 300

They told me to add their "super shock" and chlorinator so I added 3 small bags. That brought up the FAC to 1 after two days. After reading some of the Pool School, I then added some 6% bleach. I also added 7lbs of baking soda for my TA. I added 6lbs of CYA. I also bought Leslie's expensive PhosFree and added that the day I got home and then backwashed 2 days later as per the instructions. Lastly I cranked up my Aqua Rite to 100% and used the "super chlorinate" setting for 2 separate days. The pool liner slippery-ness went away within 48 hrs of adding the "super shock".

Here are my test results today from Leslie's (I dont own a nice test kit yet, that is next on my list!)
FAC - 4
TAC - 4
Salt - 3000
CH - 60
CYA - 40
TA - 50
pH - 7.2
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Pho - 300

I am happy my chlorine levels are finally up. I am assuming I can back off the 100% setting on my SWG. Not sure where I should back it off too. What bugs me is that my TA didnt move after adding that baking soda. I thought I used the Pool Calc correctly and added the right amount. I have not gone back to that yet. My pH dropped slightly, is that a concern? We have had lots of rain but not enough to raise the pool level by much. My Pho didnt drop after adding their chemicals to my filter. They also want me to buy over $100 worth of hardness chemicals to get my CH up to 200-400. From the Pool School it said I dont need to worry about CH with a vinyl pool, is that correct?

So - how do things look? Any suggestions other than get a good test kit? I am ordering that this week!

Thanks!

elwood58 said:
Looking pretty good. Your CYA needs to come up to 70, but the 6 lbs you added may not be showing up yet. Give it a week, and adjust as needed.

My CYA runs fine at 40, but then again, my pool gets a lot of shade since its around woods.

Phosphates don't matter. I got some PhosFree with my pool in the start up kit, I haven't even touched it. I can't figure out its use, everything else is spot on and my water is crystal clear.

What about my TA not moving after adding that baking soda? Do I need to add more? I thought I went off the Calculator correctly but the number didnt move one point. Do I need to worry about the Calcium? Pool store said yes to the tune of $125 worth of additives. Pool School said dont worry about CH with a vinyl pool. I tend to trust the Pool School right now, but want to make sure I am OK.

My pool is in full sun as well. There may be partial shade for the morning hours, but that passes fairly quickly.

Welcome to tfp, CHD Dad :wave:

CHD Dad said:
Do I need to worry about the Calcium? Pool store said yes to the tune of $125 worth of additives. Pool School said dont worry about CH with a vinyl pool.
No you do not need to raise it. Vinyl liner pools do not care about low CH, however high CH can still cause calcium scaling and calcium clouding.

Low CH does not matter in vinyl pools.

The TA discrepancy could just be due to the inferior testing at pool stores.

Interesting that the Phosphate (which you know don't matter) did not go down even though you used their "magic potion"

Get a kit and you are good to go.

What bugs me is that my TA didnt move after adding that baking soda.
In years past, I wouldn't even comment on this. Pool Store tests have proven to be so horrible over time that I must say that you really don't know if it moved or not. The pool store simply told you it didn't.

Obviously, I have a potential agenda in that I sell test kits but over and over and over, pool store testing is a prime source of the inability to manage your pool water successfully.

I just finished a phone call from a new kit owner who was concerned because she apparently received bad CYA reagent (R-0013) in her new test kit. Her reasoning was she could never obscure the dot using the correct procedure (TF-100) and Leslies had reported a CYA of 30 in her pool.

Of course, NO ONE HAD EVER PUT ANY CYA in her pool to begin with.

I have changed from giving Pool Stores the benefit of the doubt to becoming completely dismissive of their testing. They are just too wrong too many times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.