Ever think about moving, for a better swim season?

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
Has anyone ever moved or (seriously) thought about moving to get a better swim season?

Being in Illinois our swim season is mainly late May through early September. Our families are both here, so that complicates things a bit. My fiance doesn't care for the cloudy days and snow, we're both definitely affected by sunshine (I can deal with snow though).

Seems that there are lots of people on here from Texas. If you don't mind sharing, tell me a bit about your situation (and location).

We will probably wait until there is a reason to leave, but we're very interested in Texas if we do move.

elwood58 said:
We did buy a second home in Arizona, with the added benefit of a very long swim season. We have lots of family there, so it was a pretty easy decision.
I went to Mesa not too long ago, my brother was living out there for a while. Very nice.. probably handy to have a drain system for the monsoons.

mpacheco72 said:
Well we opened in May and probably won't close until late October. We have lots of 90+ days and the worst thing that affects our pool is wind and dirt. Other than that I would say we have the ideal pool. :)
I opened early this year, but we didn't start swimming until almost June! I keep thinking how bad it sucks that my swim season is already half over. Something must be done!

mpacheco72 said:
Well we opened in May and probably won't close until late October. We have lots of 90+ days and the worst thing that affects our pool is wind and dirt. Other than that I would say we have the ideal pool. :)

Sounds like us. Started swimming in May, will probably get through the middle or end of September. No pool heater, don't need one.

I've contemplated moving from northern Ontario but that is solely based in that I seem to be a rare breed of Canadian that pretty much hates winter. Don't know where I'd move though, Florida and Texas seem nice, so does South Carolina.
Were I a younger man and had to do it all over again I'd probably entertain the idea more seriously.

On the upside we generally only deal with heavy snow here whereas some areas of the southern US contends with wild fires, or tornadoes, or hurricanes or major flooding. The natural forces here are pretty tame compared to the southern US.

Tornadoes happen here, but it's so isolated the chance of being hit by one is extremely low. Hurricanes this far up from the coast just get us rain. Snow happens sometimes, but usually only lasts a day. Best thing about Texas is the low cost of living. :)

May thru September is not to bad. Here in North Alabama ours is usually late april thru September. Some years can be as early as late March like this year or as late as mid- late October. We usually only have 3 cold months which is dec-feb and minimal snow. For me this is the perfect climate as it has nice subtle but noticeable season changes. If we ever moved it would have to be farther south though, i don't think i could put up with any type of harsh winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd move out of new England in a heartbeat if I could. So would my wife, she hates the cold. She's a native, i'm from Oklahoma. My job keeps me here basically till i retire, but i hate it up here. The weather most of the year really stinks. We get no spring. It can be in the 50's in june with a monsoon. The only real summer (consistent 85-95) is in july and the end of august can be cool.
The natives (most of them) love the snow and cold and complain when it gets over 80 degrees with a little humidity :roll: :roll:
When I retire, im movin south. I dont even want to own long pants or a coat and have flip flops for every day of the week.

Everywhere has something, here in Louisiana we are 90 miles inland from the coast (also 25 miles from Texas, so nowhere near New Orleans, thankfully) we are buffered from the worst of the hurricanes unless it is a direct hit from a strong one. Last major one here was Rita, 3 weeks after Katrina hit the other side of the state, I was one of the lucky ones getting power back 5 days after the storm hit, my father who lived about 15 miles south of where I do on a major highway was without power for 29 days, and I know people out in the country near here that were out for 2-3 months, some of the coastal areas still don't have power lines back 7 years later, of course there is nothing left standing there anymore either. We also get the occasional tornado, but usually not the giant ones, the occasional ice storm every 10-15 years that cause multi-day power outages, and some flash flooding, a few months ago my town had a flash flood event getting something over 19 inches of rain in under 24 hours, flooding something like 200 homes. Thankfully my house was not one of them, barely. as when I came home from work about 12 hours into the rain there was knee deep water along the path to my side door, in a place that typically gets ankle deep after a heavy rain. On the other hand we rarely get any ice on the ground and and snow that sticks to the ground is a once per decade event that lasts for a few hours, to a day at most.

Florida panhandle has reasonable cost of living, still rural areas not all built up and crazy like some parts of fla, not as many job opp's though... We swim may to sept bc we are too busy when school starts, it does get cold here, 10-20 deg lows, (ok, when you are in a 100 year old house with limited insulation, that gets a little uncomfortable for a few weeks jan to feb)... Our backyard area is prob 25' x 25 ' and our doggie likes having her yard back for fall to spring... And we do too... Even with a heater, we would be too busy to use it...now if I was retired, no kid, and no dog, might consider keeping one up year round and heated... Good luck... There are lots of beautiful pools here in beautiful locations.. Sure is tempting :)

I m pretty happy in the Sacramento area of California. We have a nice season from May until October without a heater. We do have year round outdoor pools if you added a heater. It rains an gets foggy n winter but no snow here, just 30's and fog...runs right through your fleece coat. During the swim season, we rarely have rain or humidity to speak of. I travelled a lot for work and I was happy when I came home. Snow skiing is less than 80 miles east (tahoe or reno) and the beach is about 100 miles west.

being in south/central alabama(depends on how you look at the map. southish-central alabama), I've seen/been part of/owned a couple of pools. What you have around your pool is just as important to the swim season as where you live.

My parents had a house with an awesome gunnite pool covered by a lania(sp? big screen porch basically. I hear they're popular in florida), and the lot was fairly heavily shaded. Pool was *cold* until june, but that made it pleasant in july/august. both of my pools and my best friend's inlaws' pool are uncovered, and get a *ton* of direct sunlight, so it's not rare at all for me to be swimming at or before easter, and generally it starts to get too cold sometime in late october. I've contemplated solar heating, I may do that at my new house where I've got the space for it.

DH and I both considered moving south before we got married... one of our dreams to live in a warm climate, in the hills and sunshine... job and family keep us here.

When we retire I can easily see us taking a leap and moving south... provided our son isn't too far away, or likens to follow us or us him :) I don't want to be too far from grandkids... but that's a long way off.

I do dread the idea of killer bees, more snakes, & scorpions... but I don't know if it's enough to keep me from the warmer temps. :)

Here in AZ with the help of a solar cover our pool was 85* by mid April. Which is swimmable to us but not hang out in the pool and have a few beers comfortable. It was 106* here today and the pool was 89 which is perfect after a workout, doing some yard work or just hanging out in the water. We are 2.5 hours from the cool pines of Flagstaff and about 6 hrs from the surf in San Diego. I think its perfect here but if I had to move it would be to Austin Tx or maybe Las Vegas.

I won't get in the pool until it hits 84 degrees so I don't swim until late May or early June then we swim until the end of September. I have a heater but only use it on the spa. My pool has a good amount of shade so while it never gets hot in the summer, it does stay a bit cooler longer than the neighbor who has a deeper color and shallower water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.