Pentair Screenlogic2 and Easy Touch

Jul 7, 2012
We are having a pool and Easytouch installed next month. Our PB wants to charge us $925 for the iPhone interface. I see the equipment online for $400 or so. Is this a difficult install or something we can add later for $4xx?

It obviously depends on several factors... how computer savy are you, is there a place where you can install the Screen Logic 2 interface box near a communication cable from the EasyTouch, is there an ethernet cable or WiFi bridge near where the Screen Logic interface will be sited, and are you comfortable opening the EasyTouch panel to set it up? $500 to install this does seem steep to me. If your equipment pad is near the house, it could be as simple as running some 4-wire twisted pair cable (or CAT5e/6) from the pool pad into the house near your WiFi router. You hook the Screen Logic interface box (which is a bridge between the RS485 protocol that the EasyTouch uses to communicate and the ethernet protocol that your computers use) into a communications port on the EasyTouch, and an ethernet cable also plugs into the interface box. Then, you access the interface with a computer that is connected to your home LAN via the Screen Logic 2 software. Conceptually, it sounds very simple. The directions for installing the Screen Logic 2 kit also seem very straightforward, but this may involve some tweaking of your router's parameters to get this to work with an iPhone or other device outside of your LAN via the internet (e.g. opening ports, etc).

We aren't getting a control panel in the house, as far as I know. So you have to run physical wire from the Easytouch at the equip pad to the area near our PC/router in the house? I saw some references to wifi but couldn't see anything definitive.

In addition to the Easytouch panel you'll need the Pentair Screenlogic accessory (P/N 520500) which you've already found for around $400. With nothing else, you'd need to run a Cat 5/6 cable from the Easytouch panel to your router.

You can avoid the cable run, however, but (naturally) it will cost you. You'd need Pentair's Wireless Adapter (P/N 520639), which connects into the Easytouch panel and provides wireless communicatin with your Screenlogic and router.

I only checked one site online (Inyopools.com) and saw the 520500 at $479 and the 520639 at $560. The installation's not hard to do at all...and if you get stuck, Pentair's got good phone support to help walk you thru it.

You need some way to get the control signals to the Easytouch from your computer. This can be done with either a RS485 cable or an ethernet cable. It simply depends on where you want to locate the interface box. As described, an alternative is to use a WiFi signal. For this, you would need a wireless router somewhere in your home that can reliably be connected to near the pool pad. Then, you would need a wireless "bridge" to pick up WiFi broadcasts and convert them back to ethernet. You can purchase WiFi to ethernet bridges, or you can convert an old router (e.g. the Linksys WRT-54G) to an ethernet bridge using either DD-WRT or Tomato router firmware.

So, the simplest and likely most reliable connection would be to run ethernet cabling from your WiFi router to the pool pad, and then connect up the Screen Logic interface box next to the EasyTouch. Or you could just run RS485 (requires fewer wires and thus is cheaper cabling) to your router inside your home, connect the interface box near the router via a short ethernet cable. Either of these ways does not use WiFi. The third method involves the use of WiFi and is the most complicated, but minimal from a cabling perspective. All of these seem pretty straightforward to me.

Hopefully, Bfassler, you understand that the wireless adapter won't ALWAYS work, right? What I mean by that is if you mount it on an exterior stucco wall, it may very well not work for you, because there's a lot of wire mesh behind stucco that could interfere with the wireless signal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What route did you end up going? I too am leaning towards an EasyTouch 8, but trying to identify specifically which additional modules and PNs I need to add iPhone connectivity (screenlogic2?) and wireless capability. Currently our PB has quoted $4,500+ for IntelliTouch and other unspecific equipment to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Miles,

SunPlay sells a ScreenLogic Bundle, which includes all you need to connect your EasyTouch to your PC/phone/internet. It includes a Protocol Adapter with talks "Pentair" on one end and Ethernet on the other end. It also includes a short range RF receiver/transmitter set. You can run a cable between the EasyTouch and your House internet system, or you can use the RF link, they both do the same function.

The Pentair P/N is 522104 and is about $400.

Jim R.

miles,

I can guarantee that you will not regret getting ScreenLogic... The only downside is that having ScreenLogic with the initial installation will not allow you to fully understand the giant leap forward it is over the EasyTouch LCD control.

You will just have to take my word for it. :p

Jim R.

I trust you [emoji3] Also opted to upgrade from a CCP420 to a CCP520 filter and from IC40 to IC60 SWG.

It's my understanding with ET automation the IC60 salt can be adjusted in 1% increments (instead of 20% manual steps), won't have to run as long as the IC40 and could improve the longevity of the salt cell.

Pool finally finished...start-up occurred today. PB doing an orientation with me this weekend but SL2 configured and accessible via iOS app. Eager to play around with it.

Noticed it shows water temp but can't see IntelliFlo 2 VST pump. Under features, Booster Pump only thing enabled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you reset/sync a ScreenLogic2 so that it properly reads the config from EasyTouch4 panel? They are clearly communicating however the settings visible within ScreenConnect aren't consistent with the ET4 panel.

Yes. And my setup basic -- only have Circuit POOL set to IntelliFlo 2450 RPM. Have no spa, water features or booster pumps.

My ScreenLogic app not even reflecting the correct water temp shown on the ET4 panel.

I have to press the Pump button on the ET4 front panel to get pump to come on else it doesn't even activate from the SL2 mobile app. But the lights turned on/off on AUX 1 and AUX 2 do turn on and off from mobile to ET4.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.