Krystal Clear pump help with easy set pool

Jul 17, 2012
We bought a used Intex easy set pool 18 x 42 with the Krystal Clear Wet Set pump. I think the model said it was model 50 or 53. It's raining now or I'd go out and get the exact model. Sorry! Anyway, we hooked the hoses to the skimmer basket and port which is the lower port and the other hose to the upper port. We hooked the upper hose from the pool to the side of the pump that holds the filter and the hose from the lower port on the pool to the side of the pump that holds the motor. There's water in the pump and it sounds like it's running but nothing is happening. It sounds like it runs for a few seconds and then shuts off. My husband tried to reverse the hoses thinking he had it backwards and the motor side of the port was flowing perfectly but backwards, thus pushing water back through the skimmer basket. We can't figure out what is wrong. It appears that there is an air bubble in the bottom hose underneath the pump and we've done everything to bleed the air out, but still nothing. Any ideas? it's like the motor is running backwards. We did happen to notice when hooked up correctly that the pump would work when we tipped it up on it's side to look for air in the bottom hose under the pump. Strange.

Since you purchased this as a used pool, you may not have the instructional manual that came with it. It tells you that when you first start up the pump, you must open the valve (the one that is hooked up to the skimmer) first. Then open up the one that is the output line. Then bleed any air out of the filter until you see water coming out. This is because if you open up the output line first, you will get an air bubble back into the pump. The lines are set up on a kind of gravity principle. If you opened up the latter first, it will push air into the lines. If you can't get the air out, try closing the valves to the pool...take the hoses off and unhook from the filter..... drain the pump. Reassemble and start over again.

Coastal has some good ideas.

When I have used that style pump, I just make sure both valves have the plungers up so that they are open, then before starting the pump, open the air bleed on the top of the filter part of the body, bleed the air out until water comes out, shut the air bleed vavle, and turn on the pump.

I went online and found a video for a similar style pump and saw the thing about the order of which valves to open first. However, he had already tried to start it without doing that, so that's probably why we have the air bubble. I'll have him unhook the hoses from the pump (with the valves shut of course) and see if we can start over on it. I'll keep you posted! :-D

That must be the case. I did see a plus sign on the side. We didn't get a manual with it. I think we finally got it figured out. The problem is that the skimmer basket keeps floating up sideways and then gets air in it. Any ideas on how to get it to stay put, up and down? We're afraid to tight the clamp down too much for fear of rupturing the ring.

The lower one is the intake, the higher the output. The thing with the easy set and the ring is tricky. I have heard from others that if you don't keep the ring inflated just right..the skimmer can tip over and you start sucking in air. You need to get it as tight as possible. I for one would only want to run the pump when I could be around to kind of watch and make sure everything is ok with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Intex_1.jpg

A side note. The ring pressure also fluctuates with the air temp. If you inflate the ring in the heat of the day , it will soften in the cool of the night. This can also make the skimmer bracket slip. Some on the forum have made PVC brackets that sit on the ground outside the pool and reach over the ring and hold the skimmer in the water. This would bypass the ring altogether.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Before leaving this topic, can I ask if it matters much, or why it would matter if the water leaving the pool through the skimmer basket at the highest opening and the return water is going through the lower opening. We hooked up the hoses this way so the skimmer basket is easier to reach. We have limited space and it is tight quarters by the pump/filter where the lower opening is located. Thanks, have been wondering this....

Thanks

Yikes! That's a freaky picture! Don't remember seeing THAT in my manuals, but it makes sense. We never have the pump on while we are in it anyway? Thanks... I was just wondering if it helped / hurt w circulation.

For whatever its worth, when the pump gets air in it, tip the sucker so the outlet is higher. Air purges. these pumps get a lot of yrapped air inside, multiple times a day. Especially if the filter needs a cleaning.

I'm not sure what you mean by tipping the sucker. Do you mean the pump or one of the hoses. Our skimmer basket has a hose on the bottom of it that goes down to the inlet hole that then goes to the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.