yet another conversion

May 3, 2008
after reading up on this awesome thread for several months, I started the switch yesterday at 4pm

some info: pool is 15000 above ground sand filter

first color after nine 182oz 6% bleach, was a nice dark brown, went to second job and at 11pm added another 5 bottles of bleach, color was brown/green

at 7am it was dark pea soup, added another 9 bottles

checked numbers, added another 3 bottles, and currently the color is light pea soup.

once the conversion is complete I will be using BBB.

one question, it was supposed to be sunny all day, it is overcast with lite drizzle, will this be negative to the conversion? I figure that less sun is good and will make it quicker.

I figure that less sun is good and will make it quicker.
Yeah, your chlorine loss to the sun will be less. Most of the UV still pnetrates clouds but there is some reduction (that's based on observation....it may not hold up scientifically)

Nice work on your conversion. Light pea green will most likely go to cloudy grey-blue and then sparklling clear. The last little bit may be tough but keep the chlorine in there and keep that pump running....you're not far from completion.

BTW, welcome to the forum :lol:

sand question

Thank you for the welcome....it really was way to easy of a conversion.

Here is the history, last year in July, I decided I was switching. I was tired of the cost and crapy looking pool no to mention the number of hours spent. So I stopped adding anything baquacil. I had no problems(surprise) with the pool and closed it at the end of september(early for me). When I opened in the beginning of April, no problems. Let me add that I emptied the sand at the end of last year, it was due. So I added sand when I opened this year. I began running the pump for 4 hours a day up til the switch this weekend, it has been running 24 since.

I am now complete, the pool looks incredible, I will add pictures soon. I took pictures everytime I added bleach.

I had no orange goo, nothing floatign on top, nothing in the skimmer, and during backwash, nothing but water...my question is should I still change the sand? My gut says I will be fine but my head is saying change it to be safe? Give me some feedback.

Thanks again for all the posts about the change, it made it really easy and I felt confident it doing it.

Each pool is a little different and your conversion seemed so painless, I question whether you could get away with not changing out sand.

My thinking is to get your pool nice and stable and see how much your daily consumption of Chlorine is. If it's greater than around 2ppm, you could probably blame residual bacuagoo in your sand and change it then.

If you use 2ppm daily or less, I am not aware of any other long term effect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the comments and help, the test kit is so easy to use.

About the deck, I am all about low maintenance so we went with treks and a white plastic rail.

Low maintenance is also the reason I have made the switch, everyone who has been over has commented on how nice the pool looks :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.