Pentair - Intellichlor Low flow issue - New pool, new owner

Jul 17, 2012
I had the pool built in June.

Everything was brand new. The Pentair Intellichlor recently started reading the flow as low (red light) so I opened up the filter system and cleaned out the cartridges real well, including using a shop vac to clean out any excess water. Put everything back together and it seemed to run fine.

However, it still reads low flow.

The problem is, if I put the speed at the 3rd setting (2350) it's fine and flow light goes green, water fills up in the filter and everything is fine. Whenever I go back down to the 2nd setting (1600) the water empties out of the filter and it goes to red again.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something else I should be cleaning?

Thanks for any info. I have nobody to ask questions as the guy that sold me the pool isn't available.

Re: Pentair - Intellichlor Low flow issue - New pool, new ow

Welcome to TFP!

When you say "the water empties out of the filter", what exactly happens that causes you to say that? Normally it is impossible to tell if there is water in the filter or not.

Also, is there any way some of the water might be going around the SWG? Most pools are setup fairly simply, and all of the water goes through the SWG. But other pools have several paths water can take, and only some of the water goes through the SWG.

Re: Pentair - Intellichlor Low flow issue - New pool, new ow

Sorry, I'll be honest, I don't know much other than what I watched them do. lol.. I'm clueless.

However, I know that the only way the water comes in is through the SWG, I think? Basically there are two white pipes, one for the top and one for the bottom of the pool. Those two white pipes connect and go directly into this spot what I called the filter, basically it's a second 'catch' basket. That's what I meant. When the water isn't flowing through there, it sounds like the filter is grinding and the light is red for the flow being low.

When it's running fine, that basket area is filled with water and the flow is green. I can't run it on the recommended setting (1600) of setting two or it goes red (low flow). I have to run it alot faster, usually I just turn it to 3 (2450) to get it to flow well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.