Dead bird in the skimmer - time to superchlorinate?

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
So I found a dead bird in the skimmer, so I think I need to superchlorinate my pool to be safe. Since my FC and CC levels are currently fine and the water is clear, I assume I add enough bleach just once to bring the FC up to the specified shock level? Based on a CYA level of ~40, I'd need to add enough bleach to bring the FC from 6 to 16, or 373 oz (based on the Pool Calculator).

How long should the pump be running BEFORE and AFTER I superchlorinate the pool?

Re: Dead bird in the skimmer - time to shock

I'd bring it up to shock level at night and do the OCLT. If you don't lose any CL overnight, you don't have any nasties in your pool that need killing :)

I run it 10 or 15 min before bleach, and the recommendation is to run the pump at least an hour after you add any chemicals.

Just a side note....If I shocked every time I had a dead critter in my pool, I would be shocking daily. Had birds, bats, voles, snakes, frogs, chipmunks....just sayin............. Maybe the pros will chime in.

True, I am assuming I need to shock. The little guy (baby mockingbird) was not in there for very long, but I read some other threads that mention shocking when there are dead animals in the pool. I am a total noobie, so I will also wait for the pros :D

LOL AaronGo! same here...my neighbors behind me are snowbirds...so snakes, birds, mice, etc may or may not end up under their bushes when they are not here for the season! I also agree that as long as you maintain normal chlorine levels you shouldn't HAVE to shock every time a nasty something or other dead ends up in your skimmer....HOWEVER, when my dog decides to use the pool as her own toilet bowl on rare occasion :evil: (i'm not quite sure how she maintains her balance, teetering on the edge like that)...I DO an overnight shock...after scooping of course...bleck! :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Dead bird in the skimmer - time to shock?

OK...add lizards to the list..think I found the Geico creature in the skimmer today....called him "Cleatus" when he was walking around the pool......dang..........my new friend is dead...........

Can we stop calling what you are talking about "shocking the pool"? You are talking about a single boost of FC which is NOT what we typically call the shock process.

We struggle to make everyone understand that "shocking" is not a 1 time thing or a product, but a process that must be followed.

Just trying to be clear for any new people that may be reading this ... I will now return to my hole :paddle:

fair enough, I edited the title and my first post to be more accurate. I even mentioned doing a one time chlorination to shock level the first time around, so should have been consistent.

Sorry if I confused anyone with my comments. Yes, shocking is a process, not an event. Maybe we can introduce another word like "pulse".... Nah, just more confusing. I just think of it as I saw somewhere here at TFP...shock is a verb, not a noun. Thanks!!!

FYI, my thread was inspired by another thread in the Chem 201 section about a dead animal in the pool in which the term "shock" was referenced several times, but as "increasing FC to shock level".

I think "super-chlorinating" is more accurate since what I was asking about is a one-time event to raise FC to shock level, which is far different than the actual shock process to address algae, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.