Please advice on replacing SP1615Z1BE single speed motor

Jul 17, 2012
[attachment=0:3qslmyj3]motor.JPG[/attachment:3qslmyj3]
I would like to replace it with dual speed motor which is more efficient to save some $$ on electric bill. Is there any option that will allow me to keep the impeller and piping as is?
Current SP1615Z1BE consumes about 2.1kw/h.

Thanks!

Attachments

• motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 107
Thank you, guys! Sorry for all these naive questions - I have never had a pool before.
The pool by estimated calculation is not more than 10K gallons. Piping is 2". Also has a spa and solar.

here is a reply from hayward tech:
The equivilent motor for your SuperII pump is
only available in a Maxrated motor but must be upsized from a 1 1/2hp
to a 2 Hp max rated pump SPX1620Z2M so as to use your impeller that
you have.

Will it help me to save $$ on electricity if I install 2 speed motor(SPX1620Z2M) and run it twice as long on 1/2 speed?
Or I need to have something like hayward ecoStar ?

Yes, it will save money. At low speed you get half the flow for 1/4 the cost ... so even doubling the run time you save about 50%

I am not sure that is the right motor though. Your pump is a 1.5HP with 1.33 scale factor which is a 2.0 SFHP. I do not know why they recommended a 2.5HP motor ... that is oversized, while it will work, it will cost more to run that a 2 HP 2-speed motor. Maybe they problem is they were only looking at their motors and not other manufacturers that would be fine.

Look for STS1152R ... that is a 2-speed 1.5 HP SF 1.3 that should be fine with your current impeller (assuming the motor you have is the original and not undersized for the impeller)

EDIT: Confirm you currently have 230V though as the motor I listed is 230V only.

Whatever motor you choose, you will want to get a new ceramic seal at least. Some kits come with additional seals as well like for the pump lid and in the pump.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you gentlemen!
I installed 2EZ dual speed. It has been running for about 10 hours.
The thing is that on the low speed my side suction cleaner does not move. There is a manual valve that alternates flow between vac/skimmer, should I keep it in the middle even vacuum does not move?
Will it be better if I install auto valve control that would direct 100% to vac and then to skimmer?

[attachment=0:ptje4a3y]heater_piping.JPG[/attachment:ptje4a3y]Sorry, I was not so clear about heater.
I mean the water flows through the heater all the time.
Is it normal? How can I make it not go through it?

Attachments

• heater_piping.JPG
    heater_piping.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 35
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.