Metal Prevention?

Florida Penguin

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2008
:? OK...my pool store guy threw this at me today.

"We suggest using "Ocean Breeze Metal Miracle" twice a year. This will prevent metals (copper, iron, manganeese) from building up.

OK...I need the truth. Should this product be used on a prophylactic basis?

They suggested a qt every 6 months (per about 10,000 gallons).

The label has no ingredients listed, but it describes a chelation type process to complex with the metals so they get stuck in the filter.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 8)

Unless you fill your pool from a well or have been using copper-based algaecides, there is a very small chance you have any metals to begin with.

If you don't start with any metals, there's no need to "prevent" them.....they simply aren't there nor can they get there (exceptions above noted)

Test for metals and post the results and you'll get lot's of good advice on the best way to deal with them.....if you need to.

Ocean Breeze is made by Havialand and is exactly the same as Proteam Metal Magic, also made by Haviland. If your water does not test positive for metals then you don't need it, period. If you do need a metal sequesterant it is one of the better ones on the market. The only way to know for sure is if you test for metals, have metal staining in the pool (tan to brown for iron, blue, grey or black for copper, and grey to black for manganes--or you have CLEAR, not cloudy colored water, particularly after shocking--pink to purple for manganese, green for copper, or yellow for iron (which will look green if your pool has a blue finish)., Or you have a fiberglass pool with small black spots or 'cyrstals' on it, this is from cobalt. If none of these things apply to your pool then you don't need a sequesterant.

How to test for metals?

As always....thanks for the info...

One follow up question?-
How do you test for metals? If there is a test kit?; any suggestions on the best one(s) out there for this?

Thanks! :)

Taylor and LaMotte both have good tests for copper, manganese, and iron but I would have the pool store do it and see if you have any since metal test kits are pricey! The Taylor Manganese test kit is over $350.
Cobalt is not normally tested for since it actually leaches from the gelcoat in fiberglass pools and is easy to recognize.

...almost done

Last question before I beat this topic to death...

Since I fill(ed) the pool with city water and I currently have no problems with metal staining it seems I really should not have to worry about metals at all.

My pool store doesn't normally test for metals. (I suppose I can shop around to find one that does).

So, since the test kits are expensive, is there any harm to use this "Metal Miracle" anyway?

Does it do any harm to your water? Or is it just the extra expense.

-Thanks.

It will cause an increase of phosphates but that does not cause problems in 99% of the cases. The main drawback is that it is an added expense and adding it only twice a year is pretty useless. If you add a mantenacne dose monthly to weekly it will actually do what it is supposed to do but that becomes more work.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!!

Your pool store is just tying to increase their bottom line by selling you something you don't need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.