How will "lake water" swimsuits affect my chlorine pool?

kwhyde

Jul 9, 2012
South Carolina
We live near a large lake and the kids swim there often. However, they occasionally get into the pool without rinsing their "lake water" suits out with the hose prior. Could this cause algae to grow in our pool? How big of an issue is this?

jblizzle said:
If your FC is kept in the correct levels, it will kill anything they bring in on the suits ... would be best to rinse them at least though before going in the pool.
Agreed. My parents have a vacation house on a lake that had extremely warm temps this spring and hot temps this summer. The yearly algae growth came about 4 weeks early, so our suits go into the wash before we jump into the pool.

Normal chlorine levels will kill green algae (and black algae), but you want to prevent introducing yellow/mustard algae into your pool and you can get that in some lakes. I'd hand-wash the suits in soapy water in a sink before using them in a pool.

thoughts on bathing the whole body or just fresh suits? We have been a little overboard showering and new suits before going from our green lake to our new pool, wondering if fresh suits are enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.