Converted in Seattle

May 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
New to forum. Posted my intro already :)
Just finished conversion to Chlorine. Yea! Here are the stats: AG, 18x38x4 (16000 gals)
numbers this morning:

55 degrees water temp
175 TA
7.4 pH
30 FC
2 CC
CH 100 (vinyl liner)
CYA 30
water slightly cloudy, about to change sand filter today
What do you think? Doing Ok?

Seattlevue444 said:
New to forum. Posted my intro already :)
Just finished conversion to Chlorine. Yea! Here are the stats: AG, 18x38x4 (16000 gals)
numbers this morning:

55 degrees water temp
175 TA
7.4 pH
30 FC
2 CC
CH 100 (vinyl liner)
CYA 30
water slightly cloudy, about to change sand filter today
What do you think? Doing Ok?

A couple of questions:
First: If you just converted, how did you get so much CYA in your water? Usually it takes a while to dissolve. Could it be that the cloudiness of your water is affecting your CYA test?
Second: With a vinyl liner, your FC seems high. When I did my conversion, I shocked to 20 and kept adding bleach to keep the level that high. Was it your intention to go that high? Or is there a typo?

new numbers in Seattle

Well, after 2 days-in a row- of dry weather here are the numbers 2 weeks after start of conversion:
60 degree water temp
12 FC
1 CC
7.3 pH
130 TA
210 CH (?) went up
CYA not sure, got a reading of 30 (dichlor had been added during conversion-not my idea) Pool place read 0 last week
Water clear, still some fine dirt at bottom, will be vacuuming again

We are expecting rain(surprise!) so all may change by tomorrow eve. So, what now? Continue to get FC down? All of this is very new, I am so use to Softswim... All help very welcome :-D
AG 18x38x4, vinyl liner, sand filter

Thanks for the advice! Been awhile since a post. All week the pool has been FC 16 at night, 13.5-14 in the morning with 1 CC. Looks clear during the day, but turn lights on at night and it is slightly cloudy. Just vacuumed again and checked numbers:
58 degree water temp (we will not be swimming here in Seattle for awhile it looks like :cry: )
9 FC
1 CC
7.6 pH
140 TA
I am considering another 1 gal tonight-what ya think?

Seattle,

Keep your FC up around 15.

Are you brushing the pool and running the pump 24/7? It sounds like you may have a few organics floating/settling on the bottom and they neede to be vacuumed all the way out or stirred up so the filter will get them out.

If you'll get those out, I think that 1cc test result will go to .5 or less and I think your FC will hold steady (almost) overnight.

Finally warm!

So, it has been awhile but thought I would post some numbers and get thoughts:

water temp 72 and climbing :-D
5 FC
.5 CC
7.8 pH (just added a pint of mur acid to tweak down)
TA 125
CYA <20
The pool looks clear during the day, but when i turn lights on at night I still see a white haze/particles? Not really sure what it is...
how am I doing?
Warm in Seattle

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How is your overnight FC loss doing? Have you held the same level overnight yet?

CC is very low, which is a good sign.

Particles seen at night are fairly common and difficult to get rid of, nothing to do with a baquacil conversion.

While maintaining 15 FCC it would drop between 1 to 1.5 overnight. It was very warm Friday (90-that's warm for here :eek: ) and I noticed it had dropped 10 from friday morning test to Saturday morn test (did not test friday night). We had been backwashing/vacuuming, so needed to add water which I think helped to bring down the CYA level. I was checking the CYA/chlorine calc and if reading right, I need to maintain a min of 2.4 chlorine to the 20 CYA. Still not sure I am calculating chlorine right for 16,000 gal--1 gallon chlorine raises 10,000/5.25--what is that for 16000? Why is this so hard? I think by head is still full of Softswim goo. And why shouldn' the water be clear even at night? :shock:

You might want to try out my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, for figuring out things like how much bleach to use. For a baquacil conversion you can raise FC up to high shock level, which is labeled "Mustard Algae Shock" in the Pool Calculator.

1 gallon of 5 1/4% chlorine added to 16,000 gallons of water raises FC by 5.25*10,000/16,000 which comes out to about 3.3 ppm.

The water should be clear and quite transparent. None the less, at night with a pool light or flashlight you can still see particles in the water that the filter can't take out. That is normal. I am assuming that is what you were describing.

Seattlevue444 said:
Skimmer socks? No, I have not heard that...

Well, I really like the "Aqua Chem" Skimmer Screen that I find in WalMart.

We use the socks (screens) year around. When I pull one out I immediately replace it with a clean one. Then I clean the used one and it is ready for the next tour of duty! Time between cleaning/replacing depends on what is happening in the pool! Leaves, pollen, etc.

Brushing often will also help the fine stuff get to the skimmer and out of your pool!

You will love your cleaner water. 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.