Question on Muriatic Acid

Sep 10, 2010
I have never used it. I need to lower my PH from 7.8. The pool calc calls for 13 oz of dry acid or 28 oz of 10 Baume Muriatic acid. I found MA online at lowes (unknown what concentration) the label say its good as a PH reducer in pools, I reviewer said that its not good for pools becasuse it is stabilized MA.

Any thought or comments on using stabilized or unstabilized MA.

Thanks

BobW0295 said:
stabilized or unstabilized MA.
Maybe someone posted their pool store knowledge :lol:

I've never heard of anyone talk about different kinds of MA other than the eco-friendly stuff that you DO NOT want to use in your pool. Menards seems to have better prices than Lowe's if you have one nearby. Plenty of people buy their MA at Home Depot. Your best bet is to find 31.45%.

Smykowski said:
in the paint section
That's where I get mine too.

From the lowes web site:
""1-Gallon Safer Muriatic Acid
Etches concrete
Brightens concrete & masonry
Lowers pH in swimming pools
Removes excess mortar from bricks""

I re read the review, the reviewer was concerned because the lable says not to mix with chlorine. Duh!
Anyway they didnt have any, I just picked up enough dry stuff from the pool store to make the adjustment I needed. I wil shop around now so I have it if needed again.

The msds for the safer stuff lists it's concentration at <25%...so that is not real helpful. Just use the 31.45% stuff that is available at most home centers and hardware stores, since it is typically the cheapest in addition to being the most concentrated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.