funky readings

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
I'm new to TFP and looking for some help. I am having problems keeping chlorine levels up in my pool. Ran tests today:

FC 0-0.5
CYA well over 100
pH 7.2
TA 170

I have been adding shock and tablets almost daily and still having problems. My pool is about 9000gal in-ground, sand filter.

I am now draining 1/3 of my pool to get CYA down. Water is clear but burns eyes. I thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Tommy

Welcome to TFP!

You very well may have to do multiple drains. The CYA test isn't accurate above 100ppm, and your real CYA level could easily be twice that. Forget about the tablets. They are the cause of your CYA issue.

Thanks! I will not put anymore tablets in the chlorinator. I drained 1/3 to 1/2 of the water and currently refilling. Is there anything I need to add or do to make sure everything is in balance? Also, when do I add shock? I have about 12-15 1lb bags of pool brand shock. I also have ~12-15lbs. arm and hammer backing soda.

tadcpht said:
Also, when do I add shock? I have about 12-15 1lb bags of pool brand shock..

NEVER!!! Especially if it is dichlor as that adds CYA faster than the pucks do.

You need to get your CYA in range and then post up a FULL set of test results: FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA

Burning eyes is usually either the pH or CC being out of range. Your pH looks fine, so you likely have CC due to the FC level being too low for you CYA level. So ... once the CYA is correct, you likely need to go through the shock process to clear out the CCs. Then you need to maintain the FC above the minimum value for your CYA level as shown in the CYA/FC chart in Pool School using liquid chlorine (bleach).

Start reading and re-reading Pool School if you have not already. Do you have your own good test kit (including the FAS-DPD chlorine test)? If not, order it now as you will need it to correctly go through the shock process.

Did you buy it locally? Unfortunately, we recommend the K-2006. The 2005 that you have is missing the most important test ... the FAS-DPD chlorine test. The DPD test in your kit is just not accurate enough and does not read high enough chlorine levels.

You can add the FAS-DPD test to your kit and be good to go. Check it out here: http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html and get very fast shipping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All you test results should be accurate with that test kit ... it is basically one of the recommended ones. The only thing that you do not currently have is the accurate FC and CC levels.

You can also try the CYA test starting with a 50/50 mix of pool and tap water and then doubling the reading to find out how high the CYA really is.

Replacing water is still step #1.

ugh. took my readings this morning. still doesn't look good.

FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.4
cya over 100 then diluted to 50/50 and it came up 80 so true is 160?
even after the drain it's disappointing.
TA 130
CH 150

i'm concerned with the FC and CC being at 0 algae will bloom while i am trying to figure this out. Pool is crystal clear.
I will not have the money to do another drain for a while. I can only imagine what my water bill will be this time.

Thanks for the help.
Tommy

Based on that cya level if you are lucky and the water is clear now then get it up to the recommended 12-19 ppm and keep it there and see what happens. If you have algae it will drop overnight more than 1ppm. You need to also check for CC and make sure those are less than or equal to 0.5ppm.

For a 9000 gallon it appears 2 182oz bottles of 6% bleach will get you from "0" to 19 ppm. Good luck and don't forget to try to drain it down some more when you can afford to.

If worse comes to worse you can try shocking but the goal is 35ppm which will be expensive and involve a lot of lugging big jugs around.

It is safe to swim up to shock value for your CYA. That is a FC of 35ppm ... actually higher if you use the chart and not the calculator.

To be truly safe, the FC should also be greater than the minimum for you CYA, your CC should not be over 0.5ppm, the pH should be in range, and the water should be clear.

Realize that water seems to be about $0.01 per gallon at most (check your bill). So another 75% drain would be around $75 at most.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.