funky readings

tadcpht said:
Just to clarify, should i add it directly in the skimmer?

No - in front of the return. Have you read Pool School yet?

tadcpht said:
Also, will the cya level come down after i add the bleach

It will only go down with water drain/refill - this is why bleach is recommended over chlorine with CYA (dichlor/trichlor).

Do the OCLT test if you fail you will likely spend more money on shocking the pool than you would on replacing water to get the CYA into a more reasonable level.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

tadcpht said:
Ok. i am gonna get 9 182oz bottles, add 2 to the skimmer and wait 24 hours? and recheck? post numbers. also didn't realize water was so cheap :)

Don't add to skimmer. This can be damaging to the equipment since the bleach will be pretty highly concentrated at that point. Dump it in where the water returns to the pool. Do this slowly - take a couple of minutes per bottle if you can stand it.

Well, until you have the FAS-DPD test, just add 2 bottles in the evening the first night and then the next evening use your test and if you still have 5+ FC add just one more bottle every night. IF the test shows 0 FC, then add 2 bottles. Note that each 182oz bottle will add ~10ppm of FC.

When you get the test in the mail, raise the FC up pretty high (although not really needed), wait an hour, test the FC after the sun is down and then test it again in the morning before the sun comes up. Leave the pump on overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.