Ph 7.2
Fc 5
Alkalinity 80
Shocked it
Back washed it well
Rannfilter 24 hours
Still cloudy
Uggghh! :shock: :shock: :x

Thank you for getting back to me, I used 3 bags hth free and clear. I don't have cya test kit yet.
Pool is almost 20,000 gal, it is 18x28 and 3 ft to 8 ft
Free chlorine is dark dark deep hot pink almost red on leslys test kit

Ph now 7.4
Alkalinity is now 100
Shocked last night and continued to run hayward 3620 de filter that was back washed last night , pump is 1.5
Pressure gauge is 19.75
It is usually 19.75 after backwash and fresh de.
I back wash it usually at 25 psi

There is no bad chlorine, only good free chlorine, there isn't usually any bad chlorine, I test it every day with the Leslie's kit that test free, total, combined ( formula)
Alcalinity, ph, it more than 6 or bottles of chem for testing.
The chlorine was still deep pink to red this morning . It is clearer, saw some stuff on the bottom of the pool that looked like ash as if burned newspaper were on the bottom. The pool is unfortunatly under my neighbors sick tree and it drops leaves, the other neighbor trees over grown pine trees drop needles too

+1 to what Bama said.

Your CYA is likely high if you are using pucks in a chlorinator and have been throwing "magic powder" into the pool. High CYA required higher chlorine levels ... well above what your kit will test. Review the info in Pool School.

I just found the site and I have been reading the pool school sections. Thank you for your help. I am going to buy the cya test kit and I'll let you know the results. I understand it can take days to get it back, checking the FC and keeping the level to the shock range. If it is sun block or cream from the swimmers, what link would have that information?

The key to a good test kit is the FAS-DPD chlorine test which will test FC and CC. You also need to be able to test pH, TA, CH, and CYA.

Since your pool is just a little cloudy, and you have a DE filter, the shock process should not take too long (maybe a week). How often are you cleaning the filter? You should be backwashing when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

The solution to sun block / cream is the same ... the shock process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.