VALVE & SKIMMER QUESTIONS

Jul 16, 2012
We are in our 50's and the proud owners :lol: of our first home with a gorgeous pebble tec DE filter pool with waterfall and rock walls....extremely nice...but being new to all this we hired the local Leslie's franchise to come and do a pool school for us which helped us tremendously but there are still lots of questions and so hopefully...with pictures to help identify things we just need to know what a couple of things are for..first of all in the first picture is the skimmer bottom where it shows two drain holes...one of them has a strong suction and is where we hook the vacuum up...what does the other hole do? We have an unidentified pvc pipe that goes the entire length of our house about 10" down but we haven't dug it all the way up nor found the end of it yet...does the pipe have something to do with this second hole? In the second picture from poolside...I believe from research that I have done that this is a water leveler...somehow you adjust the valve to a certain heighth and then the water level never goes below that. If that is the case then what exactly is the function if the pool has just endured 4" of rain and has gone above the skimmer...does the leveler drain it down to the original level? Finally in the third picture from poolside is another lid over a hole and we don't have a clue what it's function is. It is about 3 feet from the leveler...in the pool directly aside of it is a drain hole of some sort but there is no pressure water going in or coming out. If not anything else we would like to know what it's function is so that we can use it if it is for something we really need it for...especially after enduring these desert storms that dump a quarter inch of dirt into the pool with a good storm and just about overflow the pool every time! Thanks for you help![attachment=2:2jejskrr]pool071612faqforpoolschool 003.jpg[/attachment:2jejskrr] [attachment=1:2jejskrr]pool071612faqforpoolschool 002.jpg[/attachment:2jejskrr] [attachment=0:2jejskrr]pool071612faqforpoolschool 001.jpg[/attachment:2jejskrr]

Attachments

• pool071612faqforpoolschool 003.jpg
    pool071612faqforpoolschool 003.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 108
  • pool071612faqforpoolschool 002.jpg
    pool071612faqforpoolschool 002.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 108
  • pool071612faqforpoolschool 001.jpg
    pool071612faqforpoolschool 001.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 108
Hi, welcome to TFP! Sorry but I don't see any photos attached to your post. You can use a photo hosting site such as photobucket to host your pictures if you are having trouble posting them.

I see the pictures

The second hole in the bottom of the skimmer is intended to prevent air entering the skimmer line if the water level is too low.
Many times this second connection is tied into the main drain suction line, rarely it might have it's own fitting in the wall of the pool or sometimes it's plugged entirely.
Yes, the second picture is an automatic water filler. I don't believe it will lower the water level in the pool only add water that has evaporated.

I'm a newbie so the third picture I can't identify. Maybe a vacuum release?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.