Final Intex Up-Grade: 26' Round or 32' x 16' Rectangle??

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Wanting to get next year's (and the five years after) pool so I am ready to go next Spring. We have a concrete pad that is 40'x24' that our current pool is on. When we take the pool down, it is a basketball/scooter/sidewalk chalk space for our two kids. We have not yet landscaped around that pad, so I could enlarge it to accommodate the 26' round if I need to (and if I can sneak the concrete guy in when my husband isn't looking - he's a bit tired of the construction zone/money-pit our backyard has been). When we put the pad in, the 20' or 22' Intex was a large as I knew about, or I would have done 27' all along.

So .... I am looking for pros and cons of round versus rectangle, especially if anyone has specifics as to Intex models. Here are some I can think of, but still wondering what you all think about which is our better "forever [seasonal] pool."

Pros on Intex round versus rectangle:
1. Can under-fill it until kids get taller and want a full 48" of water
2. Can make a whirl pool to help gather gunk before vacuuming

Cons on Intex round versus rectangle:
1. Need to spend more money to get pad enlarged

Thanks!

Re: Final Intex Up-Grade: 26' Round or 32' x 16' Rectangle?

First let me say that I have the 26' round and absolutely LOVE it!

reasoning for getting the 26' vs the 12' x 24':

1. No trash collecting in the corners.
2. If someone is playing a game, say volleyball, in the 12 x 24 it will be close
for other people to get around the game and from one end of the pool to the other.
3. It's BIGGER! :laughblue: (not sure on the 12 x 24 but the 26' holds 14667 gallons.
4. Tho it is a small "lap" :swim: to swim the 26' it is still longer than the 24'.
5. I knew that whatever I got this year, I was going to have to live with
for a long time.
6. The granddaughter telling me that my pool is bigger and cleaner than her "other grandparents" pool :pth: :lol:

Hi Crek31,

Kudos on thinking ahead for next year!

We have the 9 X 18 rectangular Intex Ultra Frame. We did have a round 14 ft one, but it was under electrical lines. We were short on space, and got the rectangular. It was an adjustment at first, because it seemed smaller than the round one, even though it has 1000 gallons more. I'm really happy with it for it fits just right in our space. Our Wanda the wonder whale does a good job on the corners, and so it stays clean. We didn't fill it all of the way at first for we were doing mods on the skimmer, and the kids were able to play in it for they couldn't wait. They are 10, so they were fine, but I'm not sure about how smaller kids would do or if it's a good idea to leave it under-filled for a long time.

Intex does make a 32 X 16 X 52 pool. Here is the link below. That would be a huge pool (in my eyes).
http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...cm-ultra-frame-rectangular-pools/54485eb.html
We thought about making our RV drive wider, but the cost was too much. So we place the 9 X 18 on the yard instead. I'm glad we got it.
Have fun deciding!
Cheers,
Liz

Thanks for the replies. I am in fact trying to decide between the 32 x 16 rectangle and the 26' round. I did the calculation and they are fairly close in gallons - can't remember which was slightly more in volume right now. Good to hear Wanda does well in the rectangle - we also have a Wanda and I hadn't even thought of that angle.

Anyone else with an opinion on round vs rectangle? We actually take our pool down in the fall, so wondering if any of the Intex rectangle people here do that as well, or do you all leave yours up year-round?

With all that I said previously, if the 16' x32' had been an option for me, I think I'd have gone with it instead of the 26'. The longer length for laps would have won out. Also, the rectangular shape would fit better into a corner which would have left more space for a deck. The 16'x32' is more in keeping I think with an in ground pool as far as surface area and appearance goes.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.