21' pool bottom track is 2" out of round

Jul 16, 2012
NE,OHIO
walls not square.. please help!

Hello, I hope you can help a new pool owner putting the pool up himself. I have a 21'x52" pool and my ground is level within 1" all around. The sand is also level within an inch and compacted with a plate compactor. My problem is the sides of the pool. 80% of the sides are vertically square and the others ( almost 180 deg off) are 1-2" off square. Ether the bottom needs to come out or the top needs to go in. The rails don't apear to be scaloped on top or bottom, but if I try and square them I get buckles in tplease help!he sidewalls. I have about a foot of water in the pool now and not sure what to do.

Re: walls not square.. please help!

Well I just checked the diameter for roundness (if that's a word) and I am 4 to 5" oblonged. Not sure ithe base track is off. (Didnt really check that before putting in the liner) and now not sure what to do. I'm thinking of draining the water and taking the liner off to check bottom roundness

The rails on the bottom should have been measured and made as round as possible and then staked to keep them in place while the rest is assembled, as for the top rails I'm not sure if those are ever perfectly round, my own top rails measure off a bit.

If the bottom rails are off by several inches I think that may be a significant problem.

Thanks cramar, yes rookie mistake and got ahead of myself. You mentioned staking the bases but no where in my instructions does it say to do that. I didn't see any stakes come with the kit. I am now draining the 1 ft of water out and will check the bottom for out of round. I will try and measure with the liner in but I am thinking I will have to take the liner off the sidwalls and check then re-tamp the sand. Does that sound right?

Before you get too far I'd post some pictures so others can weigh in, since you've only got 1' of water in there is it possible to do 3-4 cross measures from wall to wall a few inches above the cove? That should give you a pretty accurate picture of how round the base is.

Thanks again, cramar.. after taking some measurements I determined the pool to be eggshaped with the 12 and 6 oclock position out around 6". I had a friend come over and we peeled the liner back and fixed the out of round within 2" of being round. We could not get it any closer without dissassembling the whole pool. So I hope that fixes it. The sides look much better and I am now filling the pool. If you or others think a pool being out of round 2" for a 21' pool is still to much please let me know and I will stop filling it. Thanks,Greg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well pool is filled to below skimmer (still need to put that in) and the walls are still not vertically level. I have noticed that my leveling of the ground wasn't the best because that is where the sides are not true. I will try and get some pics up tomorrow in the daylight. I'm thinking I can scrape some dirt out from under my supports that are high. Plus I'm not real happy with the plastic base and top plates this pool came with, they seem to weak to stand the test of time. I will try and get a pic of those also, so people can comment on them, good or bad.

Yes... please.. photos are critical to this. I am imagining the worst. I also have a 21/52 round pool.

If the walls are not vertical... that seems like a major issue to me.

Resin (plastic) tops, risers and bases are more expensive and typically considered better than their metal equals. They do not rust like the metal ones do.

To the best of my knowledge, the steel wall does the vast majority of the structural work in an AGP. The bottom rails are there to make the base the correct shape and prevent the wall from digging in. The risers support the top rail and top rail is mainly cosmetic and to protect the top of the steel wall. A buddy of mine had a fiberglass above ground that had no top or bottom rails or risers. it was a ring of fiber for the walls, a liner and coping strips. He built a wooden top rail exterior to the pool and all support.

Bottom line.. IMHO this must be installed correctly the first time or you will be having challenges forever... or a huge failure.

Wanted to give everyone that posted an update. Well the pool turned out well. The pool was about 2" out of shape. Tried like heck to get it perfect before putting water in it, but it was not out anywhere else so we decided to try it. Everything worked itself out as we filled the pool. Also, the pool leveled itself out better than expected,I think it may be around half an inch off. Being a newbie to pool construction, I have to say the instructions supplied by the pool company were horrible at best. You guys were helpful, and a knowledgable database that people like me need. Thank you!

Hey foamer01, I put the foam down first then sand. I wasn't to sure how it went eather, but the cutout in the 90 deg part gave me the indication that is relief for the rail. I still hand tamped a 6" to8" cove of sand around the bottom for extra support. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.