Replacing major parts - found concrete under sand?

Jul 16, 2012
Hi all. New here. We have a 18x40 above ground pool that needed wall replaced. Decided that replacing everything with a new pool was cheaper than all the warranty parts we wanted. Discussed with pool store and bought exact pool that will fit the supports to the old pool.

Thought that would save on paying someone to install for us. So. Case scenario: New pool going in. 12 side buttress-free supports are still in place very securely. Was out cleaning the area around the legs to get to the screws holding the bottom sidewall rail supports and found what appears to be a large chunk of concrete. It is under the sand, but clearly poured on top of the buttress-free straps that go all the way across the pool width. I looked under the sand some more and discovered that they used this concrete like stuff along the entire part of the pool that looks like a metal roofing rectangle - the piece that actually lays down lengthwise on top of the straps that go widthwise.

Hope that is clear - I have no instructions yet to know what to call the parts. My questions - do we need to replace this concrete like covering? We havea plastic hard bottom that we had left laid out and was going to pull it up tonight to clean it and get it ready for tomorrow when we plan to lay it in the new pool area and retape. I was looking at the sand that is already down there and noting that we would need a few more bags to fill in the gaps...this Texas summer heat has caused normal dirt cracks in the soil and that's when I noticed the concrete-like areas are breaking free. It is not just a clunk of hard packed sand...it will not shatter when you bang on it...

Thanks for any help you can provide. We did not watch the install the first time close enough but we are trying to learn now by watching videos online and reading up on it so we can do this install ourselves.

Thanks -
Tracy

Do you have pictures? I am no where experienced enough to answer your questions, but I know many on here that are. They often ask for pics so that they have a better idea of what needs to be done so they can answer your questions appropriately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.