First Time with Algae

Jun 17, 2012
Howard City, MI
Hello. Since I found this sight, taking care of our new pool has been super easy and I thought I had a grasp on it all. Even just purchased a Taylor Complete FAS-DPD test kit which is awesome.!!!!!

However, just started noticing that pool floor seemed to have a "yellowish" tint around the edges of the bottom and there have been several times when skimming I have pulled out clumps (2-3) of "asterisk shaped" matter. Today I used kids goggles to verify what was on bottom around edges and it was indeed yellow/oranges and wiped away with my hand. I am guessing this is algae. :shock:

My current levels are:
FC = 2.5
pH = 7.5
TA = 110
CYA = 35-40

I have never had this issue before so want to make sure I attack it properly. When I plug these numbers into the Pool Calculator, in the "Suggested FC Level for Mustard Algae" it says 24. Do I then plug that 24 into the top area where FC is located and in the "Target" box? If this is correct, it tells me to add 288 oz of bleach.

WOW! :hammer: Is that right? And if so, do I add the 288 oz of bleach all at once? Do I keep my filter running all night and retest in the morning?

I know the info is in the Pool School, but I want to make sure I am translating it all correctly and need a little reassurance from the "experts". Thanks so much. You guys are awesome!!!!! :goodjob:

Remember that bleach is only 6% Sodium Hypochlorite - the remainder is water. Of that 2 gallons - only 6% is actually the chemical you need - which stinks but that's the price of not adding CYA over and above what you need.

Awesome.....I think I am getting this down.

Now, few more questions:

1) Do I add the 288 oz all at once tonight?

2) Do I need to leave my filter running all night? (If so, can filter run while pool cover is on?)

3) That is all I need to do to get rid of algae prob, is add the bleach? Then obviously scrub tomorrow?

You should probably reread the article in Pool School a few times just to be sure you have the process down pat Shocking... then if anything is confusing ask for details.

However it sounds like you have the basic idea - essentially - all you do is raise the roof on Chlorine levels and scrub and filter and stay on top of it for however long it takes. You'll need your FAS-DPD type test to pass the OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test). You'll have to monitor and keep raising FC as it drops to keep it high until you pass all three criteria.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.