Suction Leak Likely at Skimmer...Advice Really Appreciated

Jul 1, 2012
I've had air in my pump basket since I bought the house with the inground pool 2 summers ago. It's a livable problem right now but it does have it's draw backs. Firstly, I have to blackwash the filter about every 1.5 weeks to remove the excess air built up in my sand filter (otherwise the air pressure in the filter blows off the skimmer lid when pump is shut off). This is not a long term solution as it can sometimes jam the floating weir and potentially cut off water supply to the pump when it does come back on. I've changed o rings and flooded the pump and fitting areas with water without a change to the amount of bubbles in the pump basket. Note: This is an older balck poly and barb fitting pool system. My strong feeling is it's the connection to the skimmer port in the ground as it's likely a barbed fitting too. Fortunately the area around the skimmer is interlock brick, gravel and dirt so I don't have to break up the concrete.

Has anyone been in this similar situation? I've checked the skimmer and there does not appear to be any cracks. I want to do this myself as digging isn't a problem or repairing the piping.....and I would like to save some money.

Thanks for the help!!

Re: Suction Leak Likely at Skimmer...Advice Really Appreciat

It is most unusual for a suction side pipe to suck in air underground. It is possible for sure but the leak is 99% of the time above ground somewhere.

That said, if you have exhausted all the other possibilities, dig 'er up! :lol:

Re: Suction Leak Likely at Skimmer...Advice Really Appreciat

Thank you for the reply and it does make sense that there would be a far greater chance for it to be above ground. I think I did a very thorough job of flooding all the above ground fittings, joints and seals with water. Having said that....if the suction leaking in the skimmer is underground, it could potentially turn into a water leak with the pump off. This could errod surrounding soils and create a void in the area over time. This could supply the leak with air. However....your reasoning is going to make me check my leak detection techniques again (my time is free). :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.