Questions on o-ring quality & lubricating o-ring

Nov 6, 2011
Hello everybody,

I inherited a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter from the previous owners along with the pool. Recently, when I opened the filter to clean it, I noticed that the o-ring between the top and bottom shell was a bit streched out. Is that how it is supposed to be or should it have a snug fit around the filter (where it sits)?

While looking around on the web, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that I should not lubricate that particular o-ring. I am not certain but I think the website was talking about the same o-ring. Am I not supposed to lubricate the o-ring before assembling the filter back? If not, why?

Lastly, I am noticing that the filter is catching things much bigger than what it is supposed to (leaves, small branches, etc.) My guess is that those things get by when I am removing the strainer basket to clean it. Is there anything I can/should to prevent these things (things that are supposed to be caught by the pool strainer basket) from showing up in my cartridge filters?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:
My guess is that those things get by when I am removing the strainer basket to clean it.
Don't the skimmer baskets catch the twigs? They should never reach your pump strainer basket and, if they do, I don't see how it is possible for them to get by the pump strainer basket.

As far as I know, O-rings always get lubricated, on anything. The way they seal is by getting smashed and deformed. If they aren't able to slide around a little as they deform, they may not deform evenly.

You probably read not to lubricate them with petroleum based lubricants - that would be WD40, Vaseline, 3-in-1 oil, common stuff you already have. You want silicone based lubricant.

newowner77077 said:
Hello everybody,

I inherited a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter from the previous owners along with the pool. Recently, when I opened the filter to clean it, I noticed that the o-ring between the top and bottom shell was a bit streched out. Is that how it is supposed to be or should it have a snug fit around the filter (where it sits)?

While looking around on the web, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that I should not lubricate that particular o-ring. I am not certain but I think the website was talking about the same o-ring. Am I not supposed to lubricate the o-ring before assembling the filter back? If not, why?

Lastly, I am noticing that the filter is catching things much bigger than what it is supposed to (leaves, small branches, etc.) My guess is that those things get by when I am removing the strainer basket to clean it. Is there anything I can/should to prevent these things (things that are supposed to be caught by the pool strainer basket) from showing up in my cartridge filters?

Thanks in advance.

If the O-ring is a little loose you can shrink it by putting it in a bucket of ice water before reinstalling it. You can also cut a little piece out of the o-ring and super glue the ends together. You can also buy a new o-ring.

Yes, you should lubricate the o-ring lightly (with silicone lube, as has been said) before reinstalling it.

And, lastly, if you're getting large debris in the filter, check the pump basket, it's likely split.

Thank you all.

Qwaxalot,

I like the idea of putting the o-ring in a bucket of ice water before reinstalling the filter. If that doesn't work, I will proabably get a new o-ring. I am not very comfortable with the idea of putting it together with super glue. I am afraid it might come apart while tighting the filter clamp. I just checked the pump basket and its seems to be in good shape. Thanks for the good tips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.