My Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 build

May 25, 2012
Ok, for any of you that have been following or helping me in my other threads, first off thanks for all the help! I figured I would just start a new thread with pics of my finished product. (Well, finished for now until I get the itch to add something else!) For those that haven't been following, here's what I've done.

-Added an Intex 2650GPH pump/sand filter/SWG combo unit.
-Added a Hayward through-wall skimmer (and used the return that came with it as an extra return)
-Upgraded to PVC plumbing all around and built a PVC fountain.

Here are some pics. Didn't get any pics of the skimmer install, but I drained the water level to about 2-3" below where the bottom of the skimmer would be, used the "inside the pool" faceplate as a template to mark where to cut. Cut the liner with a Hobby knife before installing (so that I could properly install the butterfly gasket on the front and back side of liner). No leaks what-so-ever and it works great.

Skimmer and PVC on inlet side:
[attachment=2:14z1kz6a]2012-07-12_07-50-57_461a.JPG[/attachment:14z1kz6a]

Complete PVC upgrade:
[attachment=0:14z1kz6a]2012-07-16_07-18-14_672b.JPG[/attachment:14z1kz6a]

Another angle:
[attachment=1:14z1kz6a]2012-07-16_07-18-25_279c.JPG[/attachment:14z1kz6a]

Attachments

• 2012-07-12_07-50-57_461a.JPG
    2012-07-12_07-50-57_461a.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,877
  • 2012-07-16_07-18-25_279c.JPG
    2012-07-16_07-18-25_279c.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,754
  • 2012-07-16_07-18-14_672b.JPG
    2012-07-16_07-18-14_672b.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,761
Fountain close-up:
[attachment=1:3tjudksk]2012-07-16_07-18-40_320d.JPG[/attachment:3tjudksk]

Fountain running:
[attachment=0:3tjudksk]2012-07-16_07-19-21_734e.JPG[/attachment:3tjudksk]

Attachments

• 2012-07-16_07-18-40_320d.JPG
    2012-07-16_07-18-40_320d.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,748
  • 2012-07-16_07-19-21_734e.JPG
    2012-07-16_07-19-21_734e.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,736
You can see on my return line I put the ball valve between the two returns. The original intex return is at the top and the Hayward return is the one at the bottom. I did it this way so that I could just throttle the top return back to get more pressure out of my fountain. I also plan to add a pressure side automatic pool vacuum (looking at a Polaris 65) and it will attach to the Hayward return. This allows me to throttle the top return back as well and get the pressure I need for the vacuum.

Next upgrade will probably be a better ladder. It'll be awhile before any type of deck is built but I may go ahead and at least build a small platform about the size of 2-3 sections of the pool side and get a deck-mount type ladder.

I just did this today. I just sent a post on how I did it. The post is awaiting approval to be posted. I cut the thin plastic corrugated hose off of the Intex fittings. This fitting will slide right into a coupler or other 1-1/2" PVC fitting.Glue it in with PVC cement just like normal. Then you can use 1-1/2" PVC for everything, just repeat for the fitting at the pump. Dont forget to put the "nut" on the fitting before gluing the fitting to the PVC. Dry fitting the Intex fitting into the PVC fitting first helps to "pre-compress" the Intex fitting so it will slip into the PVC easier once you apply the cement.

Dang! I just re-read your question. So you have a small "pipe" sticking out of your liner that a hose slides onto? Intex has adapters for those, a pair of them came with my new Intex sand filter. They can be purchased separately though. Another option would be to cut those out of the liner, making a hole sized for another style of thru wall fitting

I like the two returns in wall. Seems like the lower return woukd really help with the bottom?

Are you happy with putting in the extra bottom one?
Also....im kinda new... But did you use an intex fitting for the bottom or is that a "standard" pool fitting?

Yes the extra return helps tremendously with water flow. I don't think this pump was doing all it could with only one return so after I added the thru-wall skimmer and felt pretty confident about my "lining cutting skills :)", I added the second return. I did this with the pool full of water. I got my son to go inside the pool and hold a rubbermaid bowl over the section where i was going to cut so I lost about half a gallon of water at most. The return I used was Hayward brand and it came with the skimmer kit. It uses standard threads, so now I can attach other items to it. My plan this year is to get a Polaris 65 pool cleaner. It will attach directly onto my new return. That is also why I added the cut-off valve to my top return, so that I can close it or throttle it back to be sure I get enough pressure to run my cleaner (when I get it). Hope that helps!

I have a question regarding your Hayward return connection. I understand that these returns are 1-1/2" threaded straight through, and most of the connectors I see getting used are pipe nipples or other barb adapters and I assume these are tapered threads. Is it possible to thread a tapered thread into the straight threads? I am about to order a set of the Hayward returns so I can use the plugs for Winter, but the plugs come with o-rings. I saw this pic and it made me wonder.

I guess my question is, did you just screw a 1-1/2 pipe nipple into the Hayward return?

file.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, for any of you that have been following or helping me in my other threads, first off thanks for all the help! I figured I would just start a new thread with pics of my finished product. (Well, finished for now until I get the itch to add something else!) For those that haven't been following, here's what I've done.

-Added an Intex 2650GPH pump/sand filter/SWG combo unit.
-Added a Hayward through-wall skimmer (and used the return that came with it as an extra return)
-Upgraded to PVC plumbing all around and built a PVC fountain.

Here are some pics. Didn't get any pics of the skimmer install, but I drained the water level to about 2-3" below where the bottom of the skimmer would be, used the "inside the pool" faceplate as a template to mark where to cut. Cut the liner with a Hobby knife before installing (so that I could properly install the butterfly gasket on the front and back side of liner). No leaks what-so-ever and it works great.

Skimmer and PVC on inlet side:
[attachment=2:14z1kz6a]2012-07-12_07-50-57_461a.JPG[/attachment:14z1kz6a]

Complete PVC upgrade:
[attachment=0:14z1kz6a]2012-07-16_07-18-14_672b.JPG[/attachment:14z1kz6a]

Another angle:
[attachment=1:14z1kz6a]2012-07-16_07-18-25_279c.JPG[/attachment:14z1kz6a]

Saw your post.. had a question regarding a few things..

The return you added.. i assume you had to drain the pool down to that level to install that one? Any tips for how you did it.. ie: the cut (gasp) and how that works without leaking etc.

On the outlet (suction) port.. i see you have a threaded nut and screw on ring like for the regular return that came with my (intex 18 footer).. how did you get that .. is it a special one that intex sells? The hole on my outlet is the narrow one where you push the strainer into it and clamp down the hose.. i cant seem to find the info on here as to how that is done (making the hole bigger? gasp again)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.