Should We Change The Sand?

TRH

Jun 28, 2011
Got new Intex Sand Filter last summer, used for the season. Thus far this summer I'm needing to backwash almost daily because flow through the output seems to loose strength, and that seems to be the only way to get the flow going really well again.

When my husband put the thing in the shed last fall, we did not know that we should have drained the water out of it before storing it.

Should we change the sand and put new sand in because of that?

Let me start by saying I have no experience with Intex filter but with most sand filters you should not need to change the sand in the filter after a season. Generally, the sand in the filter will last for years and years. I had seen people on here that have used the same sand for 15+ years. What does your water look like? If backwashing returns the flow to the filter it's usually because something is getting filtered out of the pool to clog up the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.