Salt Pools safe for pool?

Mar 21, 2008
Florida
Ok all, this question has been bugging me....

In coastal environments, condo's that are of steel reinforced design have occasional issues with rebar rot. The rebar rusts deep inside the concrete, usually on the balconies and at the balcony to building joints. In severe cases the concrete around the rusting bar "pops" and flakes off.

So.....if we have a gunnite pool filled with salt water, what kind of migration to the rebar can we expect? Will the surface walls of the pool spall?

Has this been discussed before?

Thanks

Has this been discussed before?
Yes, there was a very pleasant discussion a few months back about a VERY similar subject. Two people were shot, fourteen disappeared, and the beatings got too numerous to recount! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I managed to stay out of that one but I'd be careful........some folks here are still packin'... :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.troublefreepools.com/viewtop ... hlight=swg

By the way, welcome to the forum......it really is a terrific place with lots of smart, nice people.

He has not posted in a very long time....I think he dropped his memebership when he realized he couldn't post his BS without getting shot down.
Newfool,
As far as salt damage to condos. I have lived in FL all my life on the coast (and I am NOT a youngster) and I can say that they started doing very bad construction in the building boom in the 70s and 80's into the 90's. The older construction lasted, the new construction that is meeting the Dade County code will last.
The stuff they built to make a fast buck won't and isn't!
I grew up in Miami, lived in Ft. Lauderdale, and now live in St. Augustine less than a half block from the water so I know about coastal conditions. (I also have a salt pool BUT it's fiberglass.)

Thanks duraleigh, that was an interesting thread and ty for the welcome. I have to agree that the IQ on this site is quite high, alot of knowledgeable people and I am proud to bring the bar down a little ;)

This is true waterbear - I am sorry I havent replied back to you regarding TSP, I have a box in my garage that I wanted to check. Do you recall when abouts they banned the phosphate in TSP?

That is true Jasonlion, the concentration is much less than sea water, but I figured the salt would still work its way through the plaster. I guess that is one of the selling points of pebble sheen, less exposed plaster.

Thank you all for the input. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.