just filled pool!!! HALP!

Jul 14, 2012
just filled my pool a 24' round by 48-52" tall. not sure exactly. Pool was empty and clean.
The sand filter and pump hooked up to it had been sitting for over a year without being run. Not sure what brand/power etc.. they are.
most of the plumbing is underground. Pool has a center drain, and a skimmer. Was just filled today and cut the pump on.. out of the side came green smelly water for about 5 min( making my freshwater I just put in their a bit cloudier...) but after a few minutes it cleared up, but still didn't smell great at all. the sand filter has a measly 5-10 psi( saying 10 may be pushing it) but it is currently running for about an hour now. will be cutting off before its too late dark.
I have been reading as much as I can before I posted and already spent the $$ on a NEW TAYLOR K-2006 Complete Pool Test Kit. But it isn't here yet.
I did get the best I could find at the store for now.. and here is as follows.

hardness-150ish
TC-0
FC-0
Bromine-0
ph-7.2
ta-140
stabilizer-50

now this is a cheap strip test and could not be very accurate. but I did test twice and this is what I came up with.

Now I am concerned about the sand filter and pump as I am completely in the dark about them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
THANKS
DAN
O and I would like to try the BBB method!!

Welcome to TFP!

If possible, you should add 4 or 5 ppm of chlorine to the pool tonight, and run the pump for at least 30 minutes after doing so.

PH and TA are good for now.

Stabilizer/CYA can't possibly be 50 if you just filled to pool and didn't add any chemicals. Fill water always has a CYA of zero.

The next thing is to figure out how to backwash the filter. That will clear more of the debris out of it.

With your water being brand new and there being no CYA in the pool it is no going to hurt anything to use the tables to chlorinate until your CYA reaches the desired level. If it were me, I would use the tablets tonight, get bleach tomorrow along with some stabilizer and set the tablets off to the side for now. Make sure you read and re-read pool school and order one of the recommended test kits. Welcome to TFP! And as Dan said, backwash that filter!

Alright going to throw some tablets in there for now and test again tomorrow evening. I did order a NEW TAYLOR K-2006 Complete Pool Test Kit, should be here mid week. Will pickup the BBB stuff tomomorrow so i have it onhand whenever need be!
THANKS! for all the info for now! I will be back tomorrow evening. THANKS AGAIN!!
DAN

Well, the pool was still clear and wonderful today. i did figure out how to backwash the sand filter till clear, turn off switch to pump for 15-20 seconds, then go back to backwash until clear. I have that down now, and I would assume about once a week for the backwash process???

next are the test results from this evening after I put some chlorine tablets in that were laying around( i bought 3 huge containers of bleach, some baking soda, but both walmarts I went to were sold out of borax.... guess Ill keep looking)

Total hardness 100
TC 0-1 hard to read this cheap test kit
Bromine 0
Ph 7.2
TA 0
stabil 0

About how much bleach(6% Great value walmart brand) should I put in tonight? its a 24FT round 48-52 inch high. I assume 10k-12k gallons

Should I put in any baking soda?

Run pump about 30 min after I put in the bleach/baking soda??
Do I just pour in pull or put in front of return??

AGAIN THANKS!!
DAN

Backwash when the pressure goes 25% above clean pressure. So if it normally runs at 12, backflush when it hits 15. Sand filters actually work slightly better when they have some crud in them.

If TA is really zero - which I find hard to believe - then yes you need to add baking soda. It dissolves fast, half an hour of pump running and a little brushing should mix it all. With a new test kit, there is often static electricity on the R-009 reagent, which makes it read funny. So wipe the tip with a wet paper towel first.

How much bleach and how much baking soda can be calculated with Pool Calculator. You might as well bookmark it. Down near the bottom, it has a section that will help calculate pool volume, so you know what to enter at the top.

I just filled the pool yesterday all brand new water, which is why most of it is a bit weird. My thing is What should my target Fc be right now not knowing how much cya is actually in the pool.. if the target is 3 fc calculator says add 63 OZ If its target is 4 says to add 83?? I understand the calculator and it is bookmarked!
just not sure what my target should be at the moment.

Thanks again!
DAN

If you haven't added any stabilizer, it will be zero, so entyer zero in the CYA box and it will give the recommended levels. You're going to lose a lot of FC to sunlight without any CYA, so aim high.

What you'll find in a couple days worth of testing is that your pool uses X amount of FC per day. Add that amount to the minimum value to get your target. And you'll probably be off to a better start if you buy and add enough stabilizer to raise it to 30 now rather than wait for the tablets to dissolve and add it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am using BBB I just added 83 Oz of bleach and 141 OZ of baking soda. I have been to 2 stores for borax but have been sold out....
What is the best/cheapest way to add CYA to the pool how much? of it and how to add it So after I test tomorrow night I can add it( will pickup tomorrow at lunch).
Where to get it as well.
THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!
DAN

Hi Isuckatcleaningpools, :)

On a new pool fill, it wouldn't hurt to go on the high side of chlorine, you just never know what's in the water. 4ppm would be fine.

I would raise the TA some, try about 80-90. Then watch how the pH does.
My TA was much higher about 170, so I lowered it down to 100, now the pH stays pegged ay 7.5 all the time even with kids in pool all day on the weekends.
Get some CYA in a sock and hang it over the return, use pool calculator to get to 30ppm.

No issues at all when I did mine this way, I have brought up the CYA to 50 for the Florida sun and heat with 85% sun on the pool.
I run 4-8ppm on my chlorine now. :wink:

Chuck

Ok yeah I added enough chlorine to get to 4ppm per the caluclator. I also put enough baking soda to get to 100 pet the calc. as well. as far as the CYA,
Where to get, cheapest etc...
i set my target to 30 CYA and it says to add
Add by 40oz weight or 42oz by volume of stabilizer.

Just need to know where/what how/price of stabilizer.

Also how important and how soon should I have to get some borax. as the 2 stores I have been to are sold out.
THANKS guys such a great forum I am sure I will be here forever!! Great community.
DAN

Also I am in the South Carolina Humidity and sun and pool is fully exposed to sunlight from 1- Sundown and partially exposed all day. its 93+ pretty much everyday!HOT
THANKS

You can usually find HtH brand pool products at Walmart. They may have the stabilizer/conditioner (not sure which one they call it but they mean the same as CYA). That is usually the cheapest CYA source.

Yes, that's the stuff. If walmart is out, you can also get stabilizer (CYA) at home depot and lowes. Squish the sock frequently, it'll cloud out white and disperse nicely. Yes, you can swim while the sock is in the pool.

I dissolved 3 cups of CYA in a sock less than a week ago, in less than 3 hours by squishing. I left a tiny lump in the bottom for the whole next day, undisturbed. It just sat there, and was the same size when I found it, squished and poof it all came out. Squishing seriously helps get it into the pool. I did test for it 2 days later, and got an accurate result (I know how much I put in) but it's generally advised to wait a week to test for it.

Once all the CYA is dissolved you can assume the amount you put in, is in the pool. So you'll adjust the pool calculator for that new value, and begin dosing your pool with bleach for the new higher CYA level.

Beware of those pucks in the feeder though. Once you add the CYA, discontinue use of pucks and only use liquid chlorine (bleach). Save the pucks for vacations.

o yeah I already stocked up on bleach! and that is what I used tonight!! as well as some baking soda.. what about borax? its been sold out wherever I tried to go and I am unsure how important it is and how soon I may need it. Getting the stabilizer tomorrow.
THANKS!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.