Algae groth in over chlorinated pool

jimjd3

Jul 13, 2011
I'm new to pools and have a black algae problem, at least I think it's bad I have shocked my pool (some times every other day) for a weak and a half - needless to say the pool is well over chlorinated (off the color chart) and the algae keeps on coming.

Jim

Welcome to tfp, jimjd3 :wave:

Are you sure it is black algae? What does it feel like? Is is slimy? Are you able to scrap the "head" off? If you want post some pictures, that may help with the diagnosis.

With that said, if it is black algae, you will need to do the shocking process.

To do this process an appropriate test kit is needed to be most efficient. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison I like the TF-100 most bang for the buck.

Pool school (link is in the upper right of each page) is the place to start. This is an article that may be helpful: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae.

I goggled some more and found it wasn't black algae after all.

It's very dark green almost black buds about 3/16 in. around that kind of look like flowers they are free floating around on the bottom of the pool.

I should also mention I have a small above ground.

Thanks

Can you fill in your profile and pool information so we all know what pool type/size/surface/pump/filter and location you are at. It really helps us to help you.

A couple notes, "Shock" is a product you buy in a store and not typically recommended here. "Shocking" your pool is a process described in the Pool School, and critical to the cleaning your cloudy or green pool.

If you have a small, Intex style pool and your water is clean and inexpensive, I am going to make SWAG and suggest you drain and refill, especially if you bought pucks or bags by the case or bucket and they have been you main source of chlorine. If you have expensive , well or pump water or a truck brings it, fixing it may be cheaper... but not always.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.