Intex Ultra Ultra Frame 18' x 48" vs Pro Series 20' x 48"

Jul 15, 2012
Hi guys. New to the forum here. Great site and seems like lots of great info. I'm looking into my first backyard metal frame pool and I'm torn between the Intex Ultra Frame 18x48. I was about to pull the trigger until I was in Kmart and saw the Pro Series 20x48. The extra 2 feet would be nice, and the Pro Series has a skimmer which the Intex doesn't seem to. What do you guys suggest? The price is about the same, and I plan on putting in a sand filter next year, so for the rest of this year I'd use the stock filter. But to me it seems like having the skimmer would be a big plus. I can't find much on the Pro Series brand. Seems like most people go with the Intex. I'm also looking for the best quality between the 2. Thanks and I look forward to visiting this forum a lot in the future.

Rob

Re: Intex Ultra Ultra Frame 18' x 48" vs Pro Series 20' x 48

Welcome to tfp, Rob :wave:

I do not know the differences, I have not seen many people on here with the pro series but hopefully someone sill speak up :whip:

I would think the skimmer is a plus.

Can't tell for sure, but I think our Intex has larger posts than the Pro Series down the street. (Which I hate to mention are bent because they drained it completely last year and left it up all winter in central PA!) Our 18 X 48" Intex came with an over the wall, removable skimmer.

One of my friends has the 20' by 48" ProSeries.

They have had trouble with theirs. They got it near the end of last season and when they put it up this year wanted to put a sand filter on it, but couldn't find parts that were adaptable to allow them to do it. Hubby is a janitor and an all around handyman and can usually figure ways to do things -- but was stumped on this.

I know they have said they will dump the ProSeries at the end of this year and either go with Intex or regular above ground next year (leaning more towards the Intex due to cost at this time).

I think I'm going with the Intex. I can get it shipped for $429 plus tax. Then I'll invest in a skimmer and better pump. This should do for now. Thanks.

I have a pro series 18x48. Got it free. So far no issues at all. Other than not getting all the pieces.
Customer support was another story. But eventually they got me the right pins but not frame piece and refunded all my money. So I can't complain too much. Other than the HUGE WAIT for them to answer.
As for hooking up a after market pump, I picked up a skimmer with return jet from Leslie pools.... No problems installing what so ever..... I'm happy overall..

Having had both index and a pro series pool which is made by poly group I have to say they they are both about the same where quality is concerned. They both have about the same grade of liner and both use the same pin system to lock everything together. The only diff I see is the reg intex uses round poles on the frame where the pro series uses oval or oblong poles for the frame. Besides the skimmer on the promseries which is really a nice feature it is essentially the same between the two. And hooking up a diff filter isn't very difficult on a pro series. I was able to hook up the intex pump and sand filter using all the fittings that are supplied with the filter with out any problems. Our intex lasted us 6yrs before we got the pro series pool last year. I'm sure this one will last us just as long too. In the end it's just a matter of your needs and what you have space for. :)

Jamison04 said:
Having had both index and a pro series pool which is made by poly group I have to say they they are both about the same where quality is concerned. They both have about the same grade of liner and both use the same pin system to lock everything together. The only diff I see is the reg intex uses round poles on the frame where the pro series uses oval or oblong poles for the frame. Besides the skimmer on the promseries which is really a nice feature it is essentially the same between the two. And hooking up a diff filter isn't very difficult on a pro series. I was able to hook up the intex pump and sand filter using all the fittings that are supplied with the filter with out any problems. Our intex lasted us 6yrs before we got the pro series pool last year. I'm sure this one will last us just as long too. In the end it's just a matter of your needs and what you have space for. :)

How did you hook the filter up? Do you have the thru the wall skimmer? I sure would love to do the same. Walmart has the Intex sand filters on sale and I really want to order one. I just posted this question elsewhere and then found you.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... r/19336119

poolgranny said:

They have had trouble with theirs. They got it near the end of last season and when they put it up this year wanted to put a sand filter on it, but couldn't find parts that were adaptable to allow them to do it. Hubby is a janitor and an all around handyman and can usually figure ways to do things -- but was stumped on this.

I know they have said they will dump the ProSeries at the end of this year and either go with Intex or regular above ground next year (leaning more towards the Intex due to cost at this time).

You may want to show them that an Intex filter can be attached to their ProSeries. I just ordered mine and the conversion. I know I can do it for less money purchasing items from Lowes but this is easier for me as it all comes together and for less than $150.00 my pool can be cleaned easier and with less chemicals. Plus everything is on sale right now.

connie said:
poolgranny said:

You may want to show them that an Intex filter can be attached to their ProSeries. I just ordered mine and the conversion. I know I can do it for less money purchasing items from Lowes but this is easier for me as it all comes together and for less than $150.00 my pool can be cleaned easier and with less chemicals. Plus everything is on sale right now.

Where is everything on sale?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

pro series has the side cut in skimmer filter system,
Intex has the round intake with the filter system that hooks up with hoses and sits on the ground.

I have found that if you are going to buy a large intex/pro series pool you should look into investing in a quality pump with filter. Hayward is a good brand to look into for above ground pump and filter systems. Several people have sand filters, I upgraded to a DE filter system and I'm in total awe of it, but it was costly $500

I think Hayward has side skimmers that may adapt to the pro series cut out but I know if you get an intex the higher quality filter pumps work by just hooking up the 1-1/4 flex pipe to the intex shut off valves. Easy and trouble free.

Personally I went with the intex,

Look at Target, Wal mart, Kmart and Sears. Check for in store stock, these retailers will match price in stock.
We just purchased a 18x48 for like $365 (have to check with the wife on exact price) but it was good.
Target had the best price but Walmart had the best box so I price matched and got it at wal mart for Targets price last week

Sears has 18x52 intex they own the right to sell that size but as of now it is not discounted. But sears has the better intex sand filter with their pool but I still am not to keen on intex pumps.

The pump stayed attached to the bottom of the skimmer. It is held on with a hose clamp lap on only that hose. The rest is just the screw on hoses that come with the filter and pump.
Untitled.jpg

connie said:
Jamison04 said:

How did you hook the filter up? Do you have the thru the wall skimmer? I sure would love to do the same. Walmart has the Intex sand filters on sale and I really want to order one. I just posted this question elsewhere and then found you.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... r/19336119

I ended up getting a free hayward filter 1hp motor. For the remainder of the season Just hooked it up to the motor (water outlet) that came with the pool series pool. I have the thru the wall skimmer type. Then bought a return hose from the filter to the pool. Needed to use teflon tape to adjust this year as the hose from the filter is 1 1/2 and the input line is 1 1/4. Not a problem so far.. I did purchase the sandmaster pump from amazon but hopefully can return it so I can get my money bacl. $149.00 but a great price as it is usually a $200 filter. So may be selling it. Never used in box. Just happened to get a used filter system from a friend before this one arrived.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.