Pump Brake HP question

mr ken

Apr 29, 2008
My current system has a hp of 1 and SF of 1.2,,so Brake HP of 1.2...

The dual spped Whisperflo at 1 hp has a brake hp of 1.67.....
I believe that would be too high for me regarding GPM with my 1 1/2 pipes.....Or would I be OK ???????

Sta Rite Dura Glas has a dual speed with a brake hp of 1.166....Could my 1 1/2 pipes handle that ?....The curve on their site shows GPM at 60 ft. of head at 50 GPM and at 50 ft. of head 60 GPM...
Could my pipes handle that ???

mas 985 and others feel dual speed is the way to go, so I will do it... Can I get by with the Whisperflo 1 hp dual speed with the brake at 1.67 since it would be run on low speed 95% of the time....Hi speed has a 80 GPM at 60 ft. of head...

Or should I go with the sta rite dual speed with the brake hp of 1.166 and GPM of 50-60 GPM..

OR SHOULD i FORGET ABOUT A PUMP AND JUST SPLASH MY FEET IN THE POOL ????

This pump sizing and research has really got me fried...
Please help ?
Thanks
Ken

mr ken said:
My current system has a hp of 1 and SF of 1.2,,so Brake HP of 1.2...
This is an uprated pump and is equivalent to a full rated 3/4 hp pump

The dual spped Whisperflo at 1 hp has a brake hp of 1.67.....
I believe that would be too high for me regarding GPM with my 1 1/2 pipes.....Or would I be OK ???????

Sta Rite Dura Glas has a dual speed with a brake hp of 1.166....Could my 1 1/2 pipes handle that ?....The curve on their site shows GPM at 60 ft. of head at 50 GPM and at 50 ft. of head 60 GPM...
Could my pipes handle that ???
Both these pumps are full rated and not uprated. If you check on the 3/4 hp full rated models in these lines you will find that they will have very similar brake hp as your current pump. Or as an alternative check out the uprated modesl in both these lines. The uprated 1 hp are also equivalent to your current pump.

mas 985 and others feel dual speed is the way to go, so I will do it... Can I get by with the Whisperflo 1 hp dual speed with the brake at 1.67 since it would be run on low speed 95% of the time....Hi speed has a 80 GPM at 60 ft. of head...

Or should I go with the sta rite dual speed with the brake hp of 1.166 and GPM of 50-60 GPM..

OR SHOULD i FORGET ABOUT A PUMP AND JUST SPLASH MY FEET IN THE POOL ????

This pump sizing and research has really got me fried...
Please help ?
Thanks
Ken

The dual speed Sta Rite Dura Glas mentioned above has a brake hp of 1.16...Doesn't that make it almost exact to my current pump that has a hp of 1 and SF of 1.2 giving a brake hp of 1.2...............1.2 is very close to 1.16 or am I not getting it..
Please advise...
Thanks
Ken

Jason Lion

You have a 20,000 gallon pool and only a 3/4 hp pump.....

My 9,500 to 10,000 gallon pool with only 1 suction and 2 return lines then can run well on a 1/2 hp pump, CORRECT ?????

There is a Sta Rite Dura Glas 1/2 hp with the following GPM rates ::::

Ft. of Hed GPM

60 ft. 27 GPM
50ft. 35 GPM
40ft. 40 GPM
30 FT. 45 GPM

Would this be efficient for my pool with the 1 1/2 inch pipes ?

Thanks
Ken

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.