Free pool / Too much rust?

Jul 6, 2012
Michigan
Hi everyone,

We are being given a 15 x 30 Lomart that is about 12 years old. We have most of the pool at our house... my husband is still working on taking it down at his friends house. I am posting some pictures below of some rust. Before we pay for installation I want to make sure that there isn't too much rust. I'm thinking we can prime parts of the pool. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• pool_rust (3).jpg
    pool_rust (3).jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 164
  • pool_rust (4).jpg
    pool_rust (4).jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 164
  • pool_rust (5).jpg
    pool_rust (5).jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 164
Rustoleum paint is fine. What the reformer product is unknown to me.

Your success will depend on preparation of the surface. As Elwood said, knock off the bad stuff (wire brush/sand paper) then coat with phosphoric acid (HD or Lowes). If white residue develops, wipe the white off with a damp cloth and reapply the phosphoric acid. Allow it to cure 8 to 12 hours, then paint. Some folks use a diluted solution in a large tank or bucket and let the parts soak, others use sprayers (old windex bottles or larger yard sprayers). Google car rust treatment for details and how much to dilute the acid with water. Your grass will love the acid, your concrete will not and use precautions to keep off yourself. What this does is coverts rust from iron oxide into something else (I am not much into chemistry) and paint will adhere to it. Good luck.

I have good success with the reformer product
Repainted my daughters swing set with it 2 years ago
There was several rust spots that a sanded prior to painting plus I sprayed in the end of the poles
I see no rust or rust rain water etc from any spot

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.