Shocking Pool and Looking for Light at the End of the Tunnel

Hello all,

Since yesterday morning I've been shocking my pool and taking readings approximately every 4-5 hours. I've gone through 8 - 182 oz bleach bottles and 64 oz of liquid chlorine. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but wanted some feedback. I performed the OCLT last night and had a measurement of FC at 36 ppm around 11 pm. I woke up at 5 am to retest and my FC was 25 ppm, meaning I've lost 11 ppm in 6 hours overnight! However, I added another bottle of 182 oz bleach at 5 am this morning that should have added about 9 ppm to my FC. I retested again at 11 am and my FC was 27 ppm which means it dropped only 7 ppm in about 6 hours of sunlight. I think that is a positive sign and I may have killed off whatever was living in the pool, I just need another OCLT to confirm.

My question is, would it be alright to drop below shock levels this afternoon to swim? It's quite hot here in AZ, the water is in the 80's because I just refilled it 36 hours ago, and the water looks sparkling clean and inviting! I can kick it back up to shock levels tonight for OCLT if need be.

Thank you again for your help! I plan on supporting this site soon! It's already provided much more information than 2.5 years at the pool store yielded :)

Re: Shocking Pool and Looking for Light at the End of the Tu

It's safe to swim at or below shock level.

As far as dropping it below shock level to swim... only do that if you would like to experience a backstep in the shocking process. Dropping below shock level never did anyone, or any pool any good while shocking.

Maintaining shock level while people are in the pool can be done by asking everyone to get out for a while, adding bleach, and then asking some of them to help you swirl/mix it with skimmers/oars or whatnot. The pump can mix the bleach however in half an hour so if they can wait that long no one has to help mix the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.