Replacing a Jandy 8124a?

Jul 15, 2012
Hi, I have a Aqualink RS 8124a (assembly 8125) board with a HIGH reading on the water sensor. Way high (115-degrees). The trouble shooting says to replace the power PCB. The original is a Assembly 8125 with a PPD 8156MMM. I have been given a used but working 8124a unit with a 8159K PPD.

Should I swap the PPD before I replace the unit? Or leave it alone. The replace unit I was given is a known working unit.

Also, I have seen a TECH note from Jandy/Waterpik that says I may be able to solve the problem by CLIPPING the 3 transorbs on the board (near the sensor header). Has anyone tried this fix?

Mark

Good troubleshooting tip, but I confirmed It's the board. The sensor swap doesn't fix the issue. Jandy says in their tech note that there is a Transorb (1.5KE10A) across each sensor port which may be blown. Easiest fix is to just SNIP it off. I will try and replace it first since I have some transorbs on hand.

Also, Any idea what the PPD difference between a 8156 and a 8159 chip is? I know the "K" versus "MMM" software revision means, but no idea what a 8156 and 8159 chip. I assume that the letters is all that matters.

Hi, I have a Aqualink RS 8124a (assembly 8125) board with a HIGH reading on the water sensor. Way high (115-degrees). The trouble shooting says to replace the power PCB. The original is a Assembly 8125 with a PPD 8156MMM. I have been given a used but working 8124a unit with a 8159K PPD.

Should I swap the PPD before I replace the unit? Or leave it alone. The replace unit I was given is a known working unit.

Also, I have seen a TECH note from Jandy/Waterpik that says I may be able to solve the problem by CLIPPING the 3 transorbs on the board (near the sensor header). Has anyone tried this fix?

Mark

Mark,

I tried to PM you but it looks like it didn't actually send. Please PM me re: your old Jandy board, I am interested in the old MMM chip if available.

Thanks,
Russ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.