Upgraded to the 20" ProSeries

connie

Jul 15, 2012
Hi I am a newbie to this site. My husband and I have upgraded the size of our pool from the 15' Intex to the 20" ProSeries model from Sears/Kmart.
http://www.kmart.com/proseries-trade-20 ... ckType=G62
We have a thru the wall skimmer paper cartridge filter. As many of you know these filters are not wonderful to keep the pool clean. I plan to purchase a sand filter, most likely the Intex model. My question therefore is; will it be compatible and how can I attach with a thru the skimmer set up? We also have well water. Thus the paper filter not working so well. HOWEVER, after reading this site I can only say I finally after 3 weeks of a lot of work, changing filters in and out, socks, white (no longer) towels and pillow stuffing I can see my pool floor and swim comfortably. My husband says I am nuts to have gone to such a large pool and more work but it is getting to be worth it because I can go in my pool. YEA. Now to keep it clean!

Second question-- I do have a sand filter container here, given to me, that perhaps I can adapt and use in conjunction with the paper filter and pump. If I can I would love too as funds are an issue as I recently went on disablilty for chemo treatments.

Any help greatly appreciated. If pictures are needed of the free sand filter container I will try to do so.

Welcome to tfp, connie :wave:

I believe that pool is really close in design the intex ultra?

If it is much of the information here should be helpful.

connie said:
Second question-- I do have a sand filter container here, given to me, that perhaps I can adapt and use in conjunction with the paper filter and pump. If I can I would love too as funds are an issue as I recently went on disablilty for chemo treatments.
Post the model of the sand filter or a pic of the label. It is unlikely the pump you have has enough flow rate to backwash most sand filters...but you could try. You might be able to find a pump on craigslist for a good price.

Why did you choose the ProSeries? Just because of the larger size? I'm torn on buying the Intex Ultra 18' or the ProSeries 20', but it seems like most reviews for Polygroup who makes the ProSeries aren't that good. I'm just concerned with the the lack of a surface skimmer on the Intex.

Hello and thank you so much for the information.

The filter is a Aquamatic F425 sand filter.

The ProSeries is very much like an Intex and I have had 2 Intex before. I liked the size of this pool and the thru the wall skimmer which I think works 100 times better than the basket. ( I had those in the previous 2 Intex)

I LOVE the 20 foot pool and I loved the sale price which by the way is on sale still at Kmart. My husband did not belive I got it for the price and then I showed him the receipt. He smiled! He put it up with what help I could give him and it was up and ready fpr water delivery (we have a well) within an hour. He then put a deck up near it retrofitted from the past 15" Intex I had.

If I were to say get the 20' Pro Series and you did not like it I would feel bad but for all purposes, I say get it for the price and for the way it looks. Everyone that has come by to use it or look at it loves it as much and I like the ease of it's put together. I do not plan to take it down but do plan to release enough water to go below the input skimmer and the output hose. Now the filter is not great but the Intex filter is no better, thus my question on the sand filter I was given. I may have to spend the extra money and get the Intex brand sand filter but will wait and hope it goes on sale at the end of the season for next year. I live in Western New York so swim season is short and fast.

I hope I did not confuse anyone and answered your questions as well.
Thank you for the warm welcome.
Connie

Hi connie and welcome to TFP! :)
I'm pretty sure the skimmer box uses a standard opening pattern.
Hayward makes some economical ones for AGP.
My 1st pool, an Intex 15' X 48" came with a overhang skimmer and a little cra**y pump to run with a 'A' filter.
I found a used waterway system on Craigs list, 22" sand filter and 1 HP motor combo. cost me $100 and about $85 to fix it up and install with 2 new hoses. I bought the skimmer box online and it came with not only the complete skimmer box but the return eyeball complete through wall fitting.
Go to this link and see how I did it, my posts start at the bottom of page one.
custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971.html

On a side note... Read in Pool School link at the top of the page, and get some CHLOINE in there right away so do don't lose the pool to an algae outbreak, it will be a chore to clean with that tiny filter you have now.

Chuck

ylomnstr I also want to say I like the ladder that comes with the Proseries. Seems sturdier than my Intex ladder and it has a safety fin so if you have children they cannot get stuck behind the ladder. My kids are grown but even still I like this feature.

Chuck- Thank you. I have read many posts I believe from you and did read the Pool School link you posted prior to posting. I cannot see the images though and I am a visual learner. Is it me or does anyone else say they cannot see the images.
I also have been checking craiglsist but nothing so far My friends dad gave me this filter from a pool he was taking down. It says it needs a 1/4 hp motor pump on the side of the filter. I will again try to do pictures but they don't want to come up.
You guys and gals rock. Love the information here it has been my reading pleasure for a couple of weeks now. Chuck I do have chlorine in the pool and my levels have been right on but then I check it regularly. I had issues becuse we have a well. Although 90% of the water was delivered I did not and could not pay another $250.00 for a 2nd delivery to fill it so I used our well over a few days to finish the fill. Thus the socks, changing of filters, towels, pillow stuffing, etc. Again though it is so worth it as we have been breaking heat records here. Now my pool is crystal but some sediment on bottom and pain to get it out even with vacumming it the best I can. I know it is from the iron from our pool but the water is still crystal. :)

cleanpool-
I use a clarifier to keep the cloudiness out and some of the sediment. However, if it is rust sediment what worked for me was lots of vacumining and I covered my return using a sock and pillow stuffing stuffed inside to catch sediment from returning. I also finally found some metal cleaner (HTH) and threw 1/2 bottle in the pool (8000 gal pool) and went out the next day and voila SPARKLY! Finally. Mostly lots of vacuming, cleaning, and checking numbers and then vacumning again. The reason for the sock and the pillow stuffing inside is to catch the smaller sediments that seem to get past the filter. I have a filter cartridge as opposed to the sand filter like you have. I attached the sock using a rubber band on the return hose. Believe me you will be amazed at what is caught by this method. Also check the outflow for a change in water color as it means our sock filter is full. I rinse mine whole shebang out with the hose and start again at this point. My husband could not believe the difference. My neighbor uses nylon stockings, he says this catches even finer particles but my filter cartridge just is not strong enough. He uses a sand filter like you have.
Good luck to you!

Now for a real clean up. Our 200+ yr old tree crashed in the high winds. Limbs and debris landed in the pool. A full garbage cans worth. Hubby climbed in the pool and used a hand saw to cut out the limbs. I used the net to get out all I could of the bigger garbage, limbs, branches, leaves, etc..., then used the sock method to catch as much dirt as I could when I was able to get to the filter. The canopy of the tree was covering it. The pool still lives and is 98% clear which thrilled me even though it was hit. The canopy on it's side is taller than our 2 1/2 story barn. HUGE TREE.

Wow sorry to here about your tree...I hate loosing trees, but I have never lost one that was that old :cry:

I can't find any information on the filter you posted...any information on it of the diameter or sq.ft. filter area. Regardless, you will probably have to get a pump with some flow rate to backwash it.

Has anyone hooked up the intex sand filter to a thru the wall skimmer? They are on sale this week at walmart and I sure would like to get one but am unsure how to proceed once it is home. Most of the Intex have an over the wall skimmer (which I used to have and really disliked) now have the thru the wall and want to get the big sand filter. Any and all help or suggestions really appreciated. I still have a month to use the pool and would sure like to use it more than clean it with the paper filters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
connie said:
Has anyone hooked up the intex sand filter to a thru the wall skimmer? They are on sale this week at walmart and I sure would like to get one but am unsure how to proceed once it is home. Most of the Intex have an over the wall skimmer (which I used to have and really disliked) now have the thru the wall and want to get the big sand filter. Any and all help or suggestions really appreciated. I still have a month to use the pool and would sure like to use it more than clean it with the paper filters.

Connie,

This is what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/GAME-4552-Skim-Fi ... ex+adaptor

It will allow you to use the Intex 1500 or 2650 GPH sand filter with the summer escapes skimmer (i.e. it replaces the black pump motor on the bottom of that skimmer - just remove the filter).

61ZifqsNdmL._SY450_.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.