Robot cleaner for my agp?

Jul 14, 2012
MOD EDIT: I split this thread from this thread, so it could get it's own attention. Thanks, linen(forum moderator)

Hi Everyone.
I just joined this site, read a little and it looks great. I'm new to the whole pool thing - we got into this house 2 years ago and the pool was there already. I saw a ton of posts on this 9300 and it looks great. My pool is a bit smaller, a 5,800 above ground oval shaped pool with a liner in it and with a deck built around it. The pool has a Hayward cartridge filter system and I just buy a new cartridge each year. Cartridge seems to work well. But the floor is a problem. When we first moved in I let the pool store sell me this gigantic hose vacuum thing to attach to the filter to suction everything off the floor (the salesman was probably delighted to see a newbie like me). Well, this contraption just swishes everything around so i have had it spending hours trying to clean it and getting zero results! :grrrr: I'm wondering for a pool my size 5,800 gallons, oval shaped, above ground with a liner in it and a cartridge filter system, I am thinking is a robot cleaner the best way to go? If so, what kind of robot shoud I buy for my type of pool? Thanks again, John (frustrated and seeking HELP!!)

Re: recomendations for automatic pool cleaner - is it worth

I would generally say any robot (electrical powered cleaner) is going to be overkill for the pool that you have.

I am not sure exactly what you have, or if you have it set up right, but I will tell you that pool cleaners come in 3 basic flavors:

1st, suction powered cleaners, the classic example being the original kreepy-krauly and its many clones ranging in price from about $50 for made in china imports on ebay up to $400 for the better brand name models, there are also more mechanised expensive suction powered units like the MX8 mentioned above

2nd are pressure powered cleaners, these come various flavors, some go around and pick up large debris while blasting the finer silt up into the water to be removed by the skimmer and filter

3rd, are the robotic cleaners, they drag a low voltage electrical power cord around and have an onboard filter and vacuum system, some just wonder around at random, others have remote controls that allow you to override their pattern for spot cleaning, etc.

I suspect you have some type of suction cleaner, maybe one of the doodle bug styles, if you tell us what you have or even post a photo we may be able to help you more. Having said that before spending all the money on a robot for your pool I would suggest you try a different style suction cleaner and see how it does, maybe just one of the cheap ebay made in china kreepy clones for $50-75, in my experience when it comes to cleaning using suction side cleaners (I upgraded to a robot last year), sometimes the cheap ones do a better job then the expensive ones. Having said that you do get what you pay for, one of the best cleaning suction cleaners I ever had cost $69 and came from Lowes, of course it started falling apart after only a few weeks, but with an extra screw here and a plastic tie there I was able to keep it going for close to 2 years before it fell apart.

Re: recomendations for automatic pool cleaner - is it worth

JohnWestchester said:
Hi Everyone.
I just joined this site, read a little and it looks great. I'm new to the whole pool thing - we got into this house 2 years ago and the pool was there already. I saw a ton of posts on this 9300 and it looks great. My pool is a bit smaller, a 5,800 above ground oval shaped pool with a liner in it and with a deck built around it. The pool has a Hayward cartridge filter system and I just buy a new cartridge each year. Cartridge seems to work well. But the floor is a problem. When we first moved in I let the pool store sell me this gigantic hose vacuum thing to attach to the filter to suction everything off the floor (the salesman was probably delighted to see a newbie like me). Well, this contraption just swishes everything around so i have had it spending hours trying to clean it and getting zero results! :grrrr: I'm wondering for a pool my size 5,800 gallons, oval shaped, above ground with a liner in it and a cartridge filter system, I am thinking is a robot cleaner the best way to go? If so, what kind of robot shoud I buy for my type of pool? Thanks again, John (frustrated and seeking HELP!!)

It would have been best to start a new thread to avoid having comments about your pool being mixed in with the original postings subject.

If I see your question correctly, you have a flat bottomed, above ground pool. If this is correct, I recommend the Hayward aqua bug or Wanda, whale or diver Dave. They are all the same except cover to my knowledge. It is a cost effective, about 130-200, suction powered cleaner that goes in circles to clean the pool. I think mine takes about two hours but I tend to plug her in and let her run overnight. Mine faded and I have abused the hoses but it has lasted 8 years. I did replace the skirts last year for less than $20. They were simple and I found a video on how to do it online.

She will plug my DE filter quickly if I have lots of debris. I can only run overnight when I have a clean filter and the dirt load is reasonable. If I have a high debris load to get off the floor, I run her while I am in the yard doing other yard work. I can hear when the filter needs attention.

Thanks Isaac - 1 and techguy for the speedy response. I have a cheap suction vacuum. It cleans not that great with a ton of work and effort. I load the hose with water, etc and make tge suction connection etc to the skummer. Part of the problem/reason I think is this Hayward pump and cartridge filter is just not that strong. It's the strongest its ever been now because I just bought a new cartridge. I tried to attach some pics so if this helps you make a suggestion for a product that you think will work better that would be greatly appreciated. I Tried to attach some pics but this cell camera has all pics in 500kb and the Max size is 256. It won't let me reduce the size but if you have an email or cell I can email or text them. Text would be easier
Thanks, John

You should get pretty good performance with the hand vacuum but I have a very similar setup to yours and my Aquabug runs great. I tried using an adapter plate like yours and she runs horrible and I get all kinds of suction leaks. If I use the Adapter Cone...and the filter is clean... she moves pretty fast. The concept of fast is all relative. She moves on little stepper feet so really fast... is not really. I need to run her in my pool this week. If I can get photos, I will will.

The adapter cone I use goes on the end of the vacuum hose and plug in the the skimmer outlet, inside under where the basket would be. It relies on the basket in the pump body to catch the big debris. I would get a leaf strainer if I has more leaved. I mainly vacuum up debris from a crepe myrtle.

fyVMtP8A

I see Amazon has them for $6-$13 but any good above ground dealer is likely to have them

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.