pump run time

Jun 13, 2012
I'm a newbie and I must say everyone here is great. I can't believe how fast some of the responses have been to my questions. I'm now trying to figure out the best way to calculate the needed pump run time to turn over the pool water. I have an inground vinly pool, 30K gallons, 1 1/2 hp hayward dual speed SP with DE filter. I also have a SWG but it's not hooked up yet so just chlorinating with pucks and shock at this point. I'd say my furthest skimmer is about 60 ft, closest skimmer is 40 ft, 2 returns and 2 main drains. I'm looking for a run time for high speed and low speed. The skimmer and return lines are plumbed with 1 1/2 pipe. Any help is appreciated.

I wouldn't worry so much about flow rate or turnover. There is no minimum requirement, just run the pump long enough to keep your pool clean and to keep the FC level at target (most important).

Usually, high speed is good for both skimming and cleaning. Low speed not so much but you may need to run at least part time on low speed for the SWG. Trial and error is the best solution to see what works for you. I currently run 2 hours on high for solar/cleaner and 2 hours on low for the SWG but you may need more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.