Adding CYA with a sock

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
Hello everyone,
OK, I'm ready to start getting balanced for my SWG, and I read on the forum that I can put CYA in a sock and let it dissolve...so I tried it. Thing is, I may be showing some severe (and humorous) ignorance here, but I used a regular (old argyle) cotton sock...was I supposed to use a skimmer sock or other similar type material instead?
My cotton sock is pretty thick, and it seems to be letting the CYA dissolve, but VERY slowly. I put probably 2 lbs. in it, and it hasn't dissolved yet and it's been over 48 hours.

go get a nylon sock from wally world (or which ever store pleases you), that should help a little bit more.

are you squeezing it and helping it along? also, is it just chilling in the skimmer basket, or do you have that baby dangling in front of a return jet?

I used my old ankle sock and a ponytail holder. :-D

I threw it on the bottom and checked it after a couple days... it needed help so I used the pole to fish it out and held it in front of the return. The water was so coooooold! :shock: It ended up in the skimmer!!

Added the CYA to the oasis (green lagoon) today ... man I think the way to go is with a knee high, just like the one you may use on the skimmer baskets . . . tie that sucker off to a nearby plant container with whatever you have handy, hang it in front of a return jet and let her go. After awhile you may want to adjust it so that the jet stream hits it dead on. Simple, simple, simple.

I just pour the cya into the skimmer and don't clean the filter for about a week. I leave the pump running continuously for the first 48 hours. It's the easy way to do it and is actually the way recommened by many of the product companies. Why make it more work than it really is?

I just emptied and refilled 1/2 my water the other day. I used the sock method (wife's panty hose) prior and dangled it over a return, if you squeeze it every 10 min or so it takes 1 hour to dissolve. This time after reading a post that stated to dissolve in warm water, I tried that. I still put the CYA in a sock but put the sock in warm water and squeezed it. It took 20 minutes this way.

I was in a hurry because I wanted to test my water the next day to see if the refill helped my CH issue. I guess if you are not in a hurry just pour in to the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA is slow dissolving so even if you try to dissovle it by squeezing it it will not dissolve quickly. It might squeeze out of the knee high or sock and siperse in the water but it will still take several days for it to show up on water testing. Hot water does not appreciably improve it solubility either. The EASIEST way to add it to your pool is pour it in the skimmer and don't clean your filter for a week. Test it in a week.
Pool Owner Patience should bee applied liberally to the pool owner during this time! :wink:

Refilled my Hot Tub 100% BBB Method now

I recently drained and cleaned my Hot tub and refilled it. This time I am using the BBB method only and not the Spa Shop chemicals. For the first week, I've added about 1/4 cup Clorax Bleach and 2 oz of Boraz. My readings are looking so much
better now. For a while before my CYA was running over 300.
Now, my FC= 5, ph=7.3 CYA=30
I am hoping this trend continues .

Ron,

You need to start out using Dichlor for about a week to get the CYA up to around 20 ppm or so. Otherwise, you are over-chlorinating your spa and can cause more rapid damage to the hot tub cover as well as fade your swimsuits and oxidize your skin faster. You want SOME CYA in the water, just not too much. So using a little Dichlor to get some CYA into the water is a good idea (about a week at 4 ppm FC per day gets you to around 25 ppm CYA). After the initial use of Dichlor, you then switch to bleach until the next drain/refill.

You may notice that the pH tends to rise when using the bleach. This happens much more in a spa than in a pool. If you have an ozonator or other aeration feature (aerated jets), then this pH rise will likely be much worse. You can add acid to compensate or reduce the amount of aeration, if possible. Unlike in a pool, some of the pH rise is due to outgassing of chlorine itself, not just carbon dioxide, so there's not much that can be done about that except to reduce the amount of aeration (i.e. lowering TA doesn't help as much as it does with a pool).

Richard

Since my only return has a Poolskim attachment, I put the CYA in a doubled-up knee high and stuck it in the skimmer basket this time. I checked the next day and the knee high was empty.

I like the simple 'pour directly into skimmer' suggestion. Might just do that next time.

MeSue said:
Since my only return has a Poolskim attachment, I put the CYA in a doubled-up knee high and stuck it in the skimmer basket this time. I checked the next day and the knee high was empty.

I like the simple 'pour directly into skimmer' suggestion. Might just do that next time.

Hello Sue
I think it would be a good idea not to backwash for a few days, the cya has probably gone into your filter and still needs time to dissolve .
Cheers Happy swims Frank :)

frankthailand said:
MeSue said:

Hello Sue
I think it would be a good idea not to backwash for a few days, the cya has probably gone into your filter and still needs time to dissolve .

EXACTLY!

frankthailand said:
Hello Sue

Thanks, Frank. I backwashed right before adding the CYA, so no problem there. Will be a week since adding tomorrow.

Does adding the CYA directly in the skimmer work for cartridge based filters too? I can't backwash (it's not a sand or de/filter unit) as people keep mentioning (not to do for a week after adding the cya), so I wanted to make sure that I don't harm my filter by adding the cya directly through the skimmer.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.