First pool, first post.

Greetings to all. Taking a quick sec to say hi as I am new to the site.

So I have acquired and set up my first pool. It was filled off a well with a start up ph of 6.4, alkalinity 0 and hardness 0, free chlorine is 0, and cyanuric acid is 0.

Used common sense to get the initial testing done, have gotten the water ph at 7.5, alkalinity is hitting a little above 80ppm, hardness is 200ppm. :party:

Heading out to start adding the chlorine. I have been adding everything in slow increments working one aspect at a time as I have heard about the dangers of mixing chemicals. :goodjob:

The question would be how long after I get the chlorine added do I wait before shocking the pool? Also do I add the CYA before or after shocking the pool? I have read alot about overstabilizing as well.

BTW I purchased all the chemicals to perform these tasks but I am reading alot about being able to do it with common household products, anyone have experience with this?

Welcome to TFP!

You can add CYA any time.

If the water is clear there probably isn't any reason to shock the pool. For the most part, you only need to shock the pool when there is visible algae, or CC is above 0.5.

Many of us purchase several of our chemicals at the grocery store. Baking soda is exactly the same stuff as pool store alkalinity increaser, and much less expensive, and so on. There is a good guide to common pool chemicals in Pool School, see the link in my signature or near the top right of any page.

Thank you for your reply Jason. The water is clear but it came from our well which hasn't been treated since we got city water in the house at least 6 years ago. The well is just for watering and such. Will a simple chlorine treatment be a enough? I thought the shock would be a good idea to be extra sure whatever may be there is gone.

Exquisite_Decay said:
Thank you for your reply Jason. The water is clear but it came from our well which hasn't been treated since we got city water in the house at least 6 years ago. The well is just for watering and such. Will a simple chlorine treatment be a enough? I thought the shock would be a good idea to be extra sure whatever may be there is gone.
With zero CYA, shock is 10, so it would only waste a little bleach to run it up there. Give it a couple hours, take another set of readings, and if CC is .5 or less, you're probably done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.